Dish of the month (April 2022): risotto

My first question would be:
What rice do you use for your risotto?
Typically, people would say "Arborio", but some Italian friends recommended carnaroli, and I can honestly say I thought it was even better than arborio. Evidently, you need a type of rice which is starchy and will tolerate constant stirring, as well as being robust enough to take the constant stirring without breaking up.
I´d avoid any long grain rice like the plague, because they wouldn´t have enough starch.
What rice do you use? Have you got a preference?
I dk if it's available outside Italy, but I love vialone nano the most, I think it's better than carnaroli (that has a bigger grain)

Here my risotto with ragù alla bolognese

20220328_203402.jpg

Arancini! Thanks for the idea. In cajun country, they have something called Boudin Balls, which are breaded and deep fried balls of (wait for it) boudin. I've been wanting to make arancini for a long time.

CD
Arancini are 😍
But when I have rice leftovers and not a lot of time, I made rice frittata. Add eggs, parmesan cheese and coock in a teflon pan 😀

Red rice with tuna, sundried tomatoes and olives. Maybe more a rice salad than a risotto...the sauce was good but this brand of red rice that I tried for the first time was...the worst red rice in the world. No taste and not a good smell. I throw away all the rest of the pack, reluctantly, I never throw food, but I know that it would it would remain unused until it expired. Don't buy this 🤣

20220405_120857.jpg

Red rice with tuna, sundried tomatoes and olives. Maybe more a rice salad than a risotto...the sauce was good but this brand of red rice that I tried for the first time was...the worst red rice in the world. No taste and not a good smell. I throw away all the rest of the pack, reluctantly, I never throw food, but I know that it would it would remain unused until it expired. Don't buy this 🤣

View attachment 83193

I always keep extra rice around the house. If you drop you smart phone in water, turn it off, and bury it in a bowl of uncooked rice. I've saved a few car remote keyfobs that way.

CD

Thanks - Nope, if anything, it could have gone a little longer. :okay:
Yep . I think the hardest thing about risotto is (a) how "creamy" you like it; in other words, more stock, more stirring the rice to release the starch and (b) whether you like it "al dente" or just cooked a little more.
And those two questions, just like "Is salsa alfredo american?" and "does salsa carbonara have cream in it?"...
will never be resolved.😎😎

Back
Top Bottom