Dish of the month: Croquettes (any shape!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:36 PM
This month's dish is 'Croquettes'. We are interpreting this in the widest sense to include any definition of croquettes, sweet or savoury. Here is the classical definition of a croquette from Larousse Gastronomique:

A small savoury or sweet preparation. Savoury croquettes made with a salpicon of fish, meat, poultry, ham, mushroom, or calves sweetbreads are served hot as an hors d’oeuvre or as a garnish (especially potato croquettes). Sweet croquettes are made with rice, chestnuts or semolina. The basic mixture is bound with a fairly thick sauce: white, supreme, velour, curry, tomato or cheese béchamel for savoury croquettes; confectioners custard, (pastry cream) for sweet croquettes. Croquettes are shaped into corks, sticks, balls or rectangles. They are usually coated in breadcrumbs, plunged into hot oil and fried until they are crisp and golden. Croquettes are always served with a sauce related to the main ingredient the mixture.
(the book goes on to list typical sauces)

Please join in during August and post a description and/or photo of your croquettes. If you wish to include a recipe please post it as new thread, tag it cookingbites dish of the month & link back to this thread. PM me (or another moderator) if you need help to do this.

Last edited:
Interesting...after doing a bunch of research, I've reached the conclusion that I can flatten, round, or otherwise shape something into a bite-sized portion, bread it, fry it, and then call it a croquette.

Fried ice cream...croquette. Sauerkraut balls...croquettes...the fried mashed potato cakes I made the other day...croquettes.

I just happened to watch an episode of Laura Calder's cooking show from 10 or more years ago, and she made little potato-and-cod fish cakes...aka croquettes.

I've found a couple of things I think I can do, though. Should be fun.

If you Google image search 'croquettes' you will see a wall of golden brown, mainly cylindrical or round things that all look strangely similar. Not the easiest thing to photograph well...

Interesting...after doing a bunch of research, I've reached the conclusion that I can flatten, round, or otherwise shape something into a bite-sized portion, bread it, fry it, and then call it a croquette.

Fried ice cream...croquette. Sauerkraut balls...croquettes...the fried mashed potato cakes I made the other day...croquettes.

I just happened to watch an episode of Laura Calder's cooking show from 10 or more years ago, and she made little potato-and-cod fish cakes...aka croquettes.

I've found a couple of things I think I can do, though. Should be fun.
They aren't all bite-sized. Most croquettes would have to be cut into 1/4s or smaller pieces to eat.

I made some sauerkraut balls today. I didn't photograph them because I hadn't noticed at the time that croquettes were chosen for August. I made a large batch and froze some of them, so I will fry them tomorrow and take a photo.

I used sauerkraut, cream cheese, seasonings, corned beef (run through the food processor) and mixed that up in a bowl, then shaped them into balls and rolled them in Panko bread crumbs, then deep fried some of them (the others I froze). They were really good. And I am not a huge fan of sauerkraut. In other dishes I find it quite disgusting.

This has got me craving some boudin balls. I'm sure CraigC will be thinking the same thing. But, this is not a competition, so we can both make them.

Boudin is not hard to make, but I've never made a small batch of it. So, I don't know if I'll make the boudin form scratch, or not. I'll have to think about that. I have some good boudin in the freezer.

CD

I giggled it, I think I'd love those and the comeback sauce. :)

Russ

Comeback sauce is not really a cajun sauce. It comes from Mississippi. It would certainly work with boudin balls, but I've never seen it used for boudin, or cajun food in general.

CD

Comeback sauce is not really a cajun sauce. It comes from Mississippi. It would certainly work with boudin balls, but I've never seen it used for boudin, or cajun food in general.

CD
Hmmm, the site had good reviews for it, I had never heard of it before. I only know Yorky good bye sauce. Although the sauce is close to my seafood dressing?? :)

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom