Dish of the month: Croquettes (any shape!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used sauerkraut, cream cheese, seasonings, corned beef (run through the food processor) and mixed that up in a bowl, then shaped them into balls and rolled them in Panko bread crumbs, then deep fried some of them (the others I froze). They were really good. And I am not a huge fan of sauerkraut. In other dishes I find it quite disgusting.
This sounds delicious. One might even say that it sounds like a....tasty....Reuben.

Oh - my ignorance. The photo Yorky posted looked as if they were breaded. We don't have Tater Tots in the UK.
Are they just not typically available or are they forbidden by law? And, if it’s the latter, have there been any police raids to break up underground tater tot kitchens?

When they are served as a snack, do they also have a dip to go with them?

Yes, beef & cheese croquettes usually are paired with mild mustard.

Prawn and other delicate croquettes get served on their own, but all croquettes are made with a tasty roux inside.

Yes, beef & cheese croquettes usually are paired with mild mustard.

Prawn and other delicate croquettes get served on their own, but all croquettes are made with a tasty roux inside.
Yes, I read a US definition of croquettes and it stated that there should be a complementary sauce. I have a dilemma, because mine tasted good without sauce and that's how I ate them (except for the one I squashed and pan fried with the egg on top for breakfast...does yolk count as a sauce?). I am taking a batch over to MIL's house for her outdoor birthday party (6 of us). I guess I might make a sriracha mayo for dipping.

This sounds delicious. One might even say that it sounds like a....tasty....Reuben.
That's exactly what I thought earlier when I made them. And traditionally they are served with Thousand Island dressing, which I detest. I usually prefer cocktail sauce (if I will even eat them), but these are so creamy and flavorful they are quite perfect without sauce.

Yes, I read a US definition of croquettes and it stated that there should be a complementary sauce. I have a dilemma, because mine tasted good without sauce and that's how I ate them (except for the one I squashed and pan fried with the egg on top for breakfast...does yolk count as a sauce?). I am taking a batch over to MIL's house for her outdoor birthday party (6 of us). I guess I might make a sriracha mayo for dipping.
At the German clubs here, sauerkraut balls are always served with hot mustard.

At the German clubs here, sauerkraut balls are always served with hot mustard.
I don't think the hot mustard would work with mine because of the seasonings, corned beef, and cream cheese. Those aren't standard ingredients, from my previous experience. Many people use pork products in them.

I don't think the hot mustard would work with mine because of the seasonings, corned beef, and cream cheese. Those aren't standard ingredients, from my previous experience. Many people use pork products in them.
Yup, we use ham.

For us Dutchies, with or without sauce is a personal choice. But most folk eat them with mustard.

Personally I like cheese croquettes with siracha too.

And the corned beef was decidedly superior. Undoubtedly some brilliant Irish person came up with the idea to sub the corned beef instead.
When Claddagh's was still in business, they used to do little corned-beef-and-cabbage appetizers, wrapped in wontons, I think. MrsTasty used to love those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom