Dish of the month: Croquettes (any shape!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the definition MG included at the top, they're "usually" breaded, which suggests not always breaded.

My own unofficial research in looking up croquette recipes tells me that as long as you can patty it or shape it into a ball and pan-fry or deep-fry it, it's a croquette. Therefore, I think I'll submit a fried egg for my entry, followed by a burger. :laugh:

Recipe - Olive all’Ascolana, Meat-Stuffed Fried Green Olives

Although they are breaded and fried, they are not exactly known or defined as croquettes, but as finger-food.

It's not wasted, you can use it again.
Yes...I always strain and reuse the oil, but it depends on what's being fried. If it's something clean like potatoes, I can reuse it more than once. But, when I make fried oysters, the oil gets discarded. Even if the breading hadn't burned, there's no way I'd want that flavor to get transferred to the next thing I fried in the oil.

The rest of the US can kiss my arse!:okay: Don't get me started on girls/women born in Ohio!:headshake:
My sister was born in Ohio but only lived here for a few months. I was born at Andrews AFB in Maryland but only lived there for a few months...I lived most of my life in Florida except for a few years in Japan, and only lived in Ohio for the past 20 years, so I know you weren't referring to me?

But were you calling TR a woman or just insulting his woman (if she was born in Ohio)?

Edited to add that I really meant teasing or poking fun, not insulting. I don't perceive you as being a mean, insulting type.

Last edited:
My sister was born in Ohio but only lived here for a few months. I was born at Andrews AFB in Maryland but only lived there for a few months...I lived most of my life in Florida except for a few years in Japan, and only lived in Ohio for the past 20 years, so I know you weren't referring to me?

But were you calling TR a woman or just insulting his woman (if she was born in Ohio)?

Both my ex-wife and ex-girlfriend were born in Ohio. Lets just leave it at that.

I read this on Wikipedia and thought of you all:

"A deviled crab (croqueta de jaiba) is a particular variety of a blue crab croquette from Tampa, Florida. The crab meat is seasoned with a unique Cuban-style enchilada or sofritosauce (locally known as chilau[31]), breaded with stale Cuban bread crumbs, formed into the approximate shape of a prolate spheroid, and fried. It is meant to be eaten with one hand. It originated in the immigrant community of Ybor City during a cigar workers' strike in the 1920s[32][33][34] and is still very popular in the area."

I know you're not anywhere near Tampa, but you're closer that I am. :)
Deviled crab in the Florida Panhandle is different. They have been serving it in seafood restaurants along the Gulf Coast for decades upon decades. I ate many of them growing up. In NW Florida, they mix blue crabmeat with stuffing mix, celery, onion, red bell pepper, and seasonings (not Cuban) and stuff the mixture back into the crab shell and deep fry it. The stuffing mix is more like Thanksgiving stuffing than Cuban. BTW, the vast majority of people of Cuban descent live in the Miami and other South Florida cities. Along the Gulf Coast you are more likely to run into redneck transplants from Alabama and Georgia (and descendents thereof).

According to the definition MG included at the top, they're "usually" breaded, which suggests not always breaded.

My own unofficial research in looking up croquette recipes tells me that as long as you can patty it or shape it into a ball and pan-fry or deep-fry it, it's a croquette. Therefore, I think I'll submit a fried egg for my entry, followed by a burger. :laugh:
Have you been able to patty and shape eggs into a ball and fry them without breaking the yolk?

Has anyone here ever breaded and deep fried an egg? Seems like I saw that somewhere, would love to know how that's done.

Edited to add: I just looked it up and found it:

1596482688465.png

Last edited:
Have you been able to patty and shape eggs into a ball and fry them without breaking the yolk?

Has anyone here ever breaded and deep fried an egg? Seems like I saw that somewhere, would love to know how that's done.

Yep, I did
I’ve breaded then fried egg yolks, they turned out perfectly and so nice to eat. Crunchy outside and smooth inside, a taste-experience

"A small savoury or sweet preparation. Savoury croquettes made with a salpicon of fish, meat, poultry, ham, mushroom, or calves sweetbreads are served hot as an hors d’oeuvre or as a garnish (especially potato croquettes). Sweet croquettes are made with rice, chestnuts or semolina. The basic mixture is bound with a fairly thick sauce: white, supreme, velour, curry, tomato or cheese béchamel for savoury croquettes; confectioners custard, (pastry cream) for sweet croquettes. Croquettes are shaped into corks, sticks, balls or rectangles. They are usually coated in breadcrumbs, plunged into hot oil and fried until they are crisp and golden. Croquettes are always served with a sauce related to the main ingredient the mixture. "

I'm sorry I already ate the calf sweetbreads in my freezer a couple weeks ago.

I will try with mushrooms, poultry, or seafood. Maybe a combo?

The rest of the US can kiss my arse!:okay: Don't get me started on girls/women born in Ohio!:headshake:
:laugh: I'm guessing folks in Tampa feel exactly the same way about your opinion of them! :laugh:

Damn, I can't believe I'm defending Tampa... 🤔 😬

Yep, there's a technique of cracking an egg into a deep-fryer and quickly wrapping the white around yolk, sort of like poaching an egg, but in hot oil instead of boiling water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom