Dish of the month: Croquettes (any shape!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Cubans make croquetas, ham is popular, and there is no sauce, other than maybe a lime wedge for squeezing once in a while.
I read this on Wikipedia and thought of you all:

"A deviled crab (croqueta de jaiba) is a particular variety of a blue crab croquette from Tampa, Florida. The crab meat is seasoned with a unique Cuban-style enchilada or sofritosauce (locally known as chilau[31]), breaded with stale Cuban bread crumbs, formed into the approximate shape of a prolate spheroid, and fried. It is meant to be eaten with one hand. It originated in the immigrant community of Ybor City during a cigar workers' strike in the 1920s[32][33][34] and is still very popular in the area."

I know you're not anywhere near Tampa, but you're closer that I am. :)

I'm pretty sure I have never had a croquette. And considering they are deep fried that trend will probably continue. I do look forward to seeing all the entries, though!

Have you ever had a hushpuppy? That's basically a croquette. A crab cake would be a form of croquette, too. Crab balls are smaller, rounded crab cakes, and would make a good croquette entry.

CD

My Aunt Sadie made terrible Latkes Uncle Louis remarked she got the recipe from David which caused tremendous laughter. Having been brought up thankfully in a religion free household I did not understand, not wishing to look like a fool I too laughed.For years I wandered who David was. David and Goliath

Last edited by a moderator:
I read this on Wikipedia and thought of you all:

"A deviled crab (croqueta de jaiba) is a particular variety of a blue crab croquette from Tampa, Florida. The crab meat is seasoned with a unique Cuban-style enchilada or sofritosauce (locally known as chilau[31]), breaded with stale Cuban bread crumbs, formed into the approximate shape of a prolate spheroid, and fried. It is meant to be eaten with one hand. It originated in the immigrant community of Ybor City during a cigar workers' strike in the 1920s[32][33][34] and is still very popular in the area."

I know you're not anywhere near Tampa, but you're closer that I am. :)

I call Tampa the "Arm Pit of Florida". I use a lime based mojo for dipping.

Good fried croquettes mostly depend on how they are fried. A deep-frying should gives a good final result because the oil is well used and it doesn’t enter in the croquette. If you use a little oil, they could tend to fried in a non good way, also risking to burn them.

I avoid deep fat frying because I prefer to cook with more expensive high temp cooking oils (ie, avocado or grapeseed). I don't want to waste a half bottle on such things.

This has got me craving some boudin balls. I'm sure CraigC will be thinking the same thing. But, this is not a competition, so we can both make them.

Boudin is not hard to make, but I've never made a small batch of it. So, I don't know if I'll make the boudin form scratch, or not. I'll have to think about that. I have some good boudin in the freezer.

CD

He made the Cajuncini (actually I made them, but he came up with the idea) for the rice challenge. They are a croquette. I can do without the Boudin, not a fan, though he does have some in the freezer. It wasn't too bad in the fatty we made with other stuff, but I refuse to eat Boudin made the traditional way with pig liver and that's the recipe he used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom