Dish of the month: Croquettes (any shape!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a fan of hush puppies. At any rate, I did have a jalapeno stuffed with cream cheese and served with raspberry jam once. It was breaded and fried. it was good, but not something I would go out of my way to procure, much less cook myself. I hate frying things. I wonder if a Chile Relleno qualifies as a croquette? If so I have eaten hundreds! :laugh:

If hushpuppies are done right, they are amazing. I have had some that resembled fishing weights. Dense, heavy, and just no bueno. I made some a couple of months back that were light, airy and delicious. But, they do not qualify as croquettes since they are just fried cornbread.

No idea if chile relleno qualifies, can you bread it and fry it?

I made some baked jalapenos that were filled with cheese mixture and shrimp, then wrapped in partially cooked bacon (less greasy that way but still pliable to wrap the jalapenos). They were quite delicious. But, I would have to bread them and fry them for them to qualify as a croquette. Maybe I could chop well-cooked bacon up and mix it inside with the shrimp and cheese, then bread the jalepeno? That might just work.

It's the taste of the hush puppies I object to. Although I can definitely see how it could be made worse by being soggy and heavy. Chile Relleno's are whole chiles stuffed with cheese or something else, then dipped in batter deep fried. They are large and flattish, but everything else seems to meet the criteria.
Your Jalapeno croquette sounds amazing.

If hushpuppies are done right, they are amazing. I have had some that resembled fishing weights. Dense, heavy, and just no bueno. I made some a couple of months back that were light, airy and delicious. But, they do not qualify as croquettes since they are just fried cornbread.

I made some baked jalapenos that were filled with cheese mixture and shrimp, then wrapped in partially cooked bacon (less greasy that way but still pliable to wrap the jalapenos). They were quite delicious. But, I would have to bread them and fry them for them to qualify as a croquette. Maybe I could chop well-cooked bacon up and mix it inside with the shrimp and cheese, then bread the jalepeno? That might just work.

It's the taste of the hush puppies I object to. Although I can definitely see how it could be made worse by being soggy and heavy. Chile Relleno's are whole chiles stuffed with cheese or something else, then dipped in batter deep fried. They are large and flattish, but everything else seems to meet the criteria.
Your Jalapeno croquette sounds amazing.
Do you like cornbread?

The chile rellenos I had were not breaded and fried. I guess "Mexican" restaurants vary by region.

I just barely like cornbread a little bit, due to a period of poverty where all we had to eat was cornbread for about 2 months. I eat it occasionally but the memories are not good LOL. the onion and deep frying kind of ruin it for me too. I know most people love hush puppies but I've never been a fan and I've tried lots of different ones.

Chile Rellenos are not breaded but they are batter dipped. If done right the batter makes a puffy crisp-ish coating. Your Chile Relleno wasn't battered? That is very strange.

Do you like cornbread?

The chile rellenos I had were not breaded and fried. I guess "Mexican" restaurants vary by region.

I just barely like cornbread a little bit, due to a period of poverty where all we had to eat was cornbread for about 2 months. I eat it occasionally but the memories are not good LOL. the onion and deep frying kind of ruin it for me too. I know most people love hush puppies but I've never been a fan and I've tried lots of different ones.

Chile Rellenos are not breaded but they are batter dipped. If done right the batter makes a puffy crisp-ish coating. Your Chile Relleno wasn't battered? That is very strange.
C'mon, now, it's Ohio! Variations from the standard way of preparing foods from other regions is not strange at all.

If you would have ever eaten my grandmother's cornbread, it would have changed your life. Mine is close to being that good but not quite.

With the hushpuppies I make, I only put finely chopped green onion in them, and not a whole lot. And if the oil is really hot, none of it absorbs in the hushpuppies. I made a good sized batch and froze over half of them.

So, if we stray from these rules, will we be disqualified from winning any prizes?

CD

So, if we stray from these rules, will we be disqualified from winning any prizes?

CD
All I can say is wow. I am not sure how you interpreted so much negativity. You could not be further in your perception of my intent.

MrsTasty is a native New Yorker. Being a permanent resident of Florida, I'm betting CraigC has nothing but good things to say about folks from NY. :)

I am in no position to throw stones on this subject. My hometown is Port Arthur, Texas. The cities of Beaumont/Port Arthur/Orange have two nicknames, the Golden Triangle, and The Cancer Triangle. Port Arthur is centered by oil refineries, chemical plants and toxic waste incinerators. Toxic waste comes to Port Arthur from all over the world to be burned. Add the shrinking population, high unemployment and a downtown that rivals parts of Detroit (abandoned buildings), and you have the makings of an "armpit."

CD

All I can say is wow. I am not sure how you interpreted so much negativity. You could not be further in your perception of my intent.

I've no idea what you and caseydog are talking about and how serious either of you is being! This is just 'dish of the month' and its not a competition of any sort. It really doesn't matter at all how anyone interprets the theme of 'croquettes'. Just get on and make some folks. :D

I've no idea what you and caseydog are talking about and how serious either of you is being! This is just 'dish of the month' and its not a competition of any sort. It really doesn't matter at all how anyone interprets the theme of 'croquettes'. Just get on and make some folks. :D

You just made my point -- much better than I did. Nothing to win or lose here, so why bother with what "qualifies" as a croquette? Let's just take this opportunity to "play with our food."

CD

CD
As my extensive 20 minute research into croquettes revealed that "croquette" can mean "anything more or less bite-sized that can be deep, pan, or oven fried, breading optional," about the only way you can bust these rules is to offer up a bowl of soup. :)

I am in no position to throw stones on this subject. My hometown is Port Arthur, Texas. The cities of Beaumont/Port Arthur/Orange have two nicknames, the Golden Triangle, and The Cancer Triangle. Port Arthur is centered by oil refineries, chemical plants and toxic waste incinerators. Toxic waste comes to Port Arthur from all over the world to be burned. Add the shrinking population, high unemployment and a downtown that rivals parts of Detroit (abandoned buildings), and you have the makings of an "armpit."

CD
I think virtually everywhere in the US has been referred to as "the armpit/butthole" of America at one point or another. Cleveland, anyone? :)

And for those who may not be aware of the cultural dynamics, my comment about about Florida and New York is based on the generally well-known interaction between the two states. Many from NY retire (or spend their winters) in Florida, much to the displeasure of native Floridians. It's common fodder for stand-up comedians, TV shows, magazine articles, etc.

As my extensive 20 minute research into croquettes revealed that "croquette" can mean "anything more or less bite-sized that can be deep, pan, or oven fried, breading optional," about the only way you can bust these rules is to offer up a bowl of soup. :)

I think virtually everywhere in the US has been referred to as "the armpit/butthole" of America at one point or another. Cleveland, anyone? :)

And for those who may not be aware of the cultural dynamics, my comment about about Florida and New York is based on the generally well-known interaction between the two states. Many from NY retire (or spend their winters) in Florida, much to the displeasure of native Floridians. It's common fodder for stand-up comedians, TV shows, magazine articles, etc.

I once had the displeasure of having a kid from New York city hired for my department. He was shown how to do something when building a $14,000.00 piece of equipment. When I pointed out his error, he gave me attitude. Bye bye. Don't know about those not from "the city", but folks from the city seem to have a cocky attitude. Not something you want to bring to a job.

People down here always have had a dislike for French Canadians. Not hard to understand once you see a 350 pound man wearing a Speedo, turned sideways to you on the beach! :eek:

People down here always have had a dislike for French Canadians. Not hard to understand once you see a 350 pound man wearing a Speedo, turned sideways to you on the beach!
That's interesting. To elaborate, when I said my wife is from NY, she's from way up past Lake Placid, north of the Adirondacks, a good 8-hour drive due north of NYC, and just south of the US/Canada border.

French-Canadians come pouring into her town, especially in the summer, and it's the same kind of thing: the area benefits greatly from the tourism money, but the locals hate the F-C's with a passion. Funny thing is...read a phone book from her area, and it's 70% French names. They're all related! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom