Dish of the month (May 2022): macaroni cheese

'Dish of the month' focusses on an accessible and generic dish, so that most of us can join in, cook and post the results. Its non competitive and there is no need to post the recipe unless you want to. This month, macaroni cheese (mac 'n cheese) has been chosen.

So, its over to you to make your finest macaroni cheese and post the results in this thread. Innovation is positively encouraged. Macaroni in a cheese sauce is your starting point. Add whatever ingredients you wish, to surprise us!

Last edited:

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:56 PM
Macaroni cheese (mac 'n cheese) is often presented as a baked dish, but it really doesn't have to be so. When I was a kid my Mum made it in a pan so it was more akin to a risotto.

Pasta in a Mornay sauce (cheese sauce) is the starting point. Lots can be done with that and beyond that, I think.

Last edited:

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
8:56 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I don’t like macaroni and cheese at all (I refuse to say or type “mac ‘n…, oops, I almost typed it!), but MrsT loves it, so I’ll make some for her.
Let's put is this way. I don't have any macaroni, so it's going to be pasta with a dairy free cheese sauce.... any better?

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
6:56 PM
Let's put is this way. I don't have any macaroni, so it's going to be pasta with a dairy free cheese sauce.... any better?
Yes! :laugh:

Seriously, I don’t know why, but I generally get annoyed at shortened names for things, especially foods. I rarely say or type that certain four-letter substitute for mayonnaise, for example. 😜

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
Yes! :laugh:

Seriously, I don’t know why, but I generally get annoyed at shortened names for things, especially foods. I rarely say or type that certain four-letter substitute for mayonnaise, for example. 😜
How about calling it Elbow Maccheroni Pasta cooked with Cheese? (Assuming that's the shape you are using.)

MaximumSam

Local time
Mac n Cheese is like my white whale. I am never satisfied with how it turns out. Typically, I make the roux, add milk and then the flavorings and cheese. Once I had a bite and it was perfect, then poured it into a pan to bake and didn't like how it came out. I dunno, I'll give it another shot.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
Okay!
I'd like some clarification please?
Does the Cheese have to be melted to make it Macaroni Cheese?

In the 'classic' macaroni cheese the pasta is in a Mornay sauce (cheese sauce) so the cheese is melted. But as this is not a competition there are no rules! You can interpret it how you wish.

The Velvet Curtain

Not as I appear
Local time
Leicester: Where Britain keeps its crisps
In the 'classic' macaroni cheese the pasta is in a Mornay sauce (cheese sauce) so the cheese is melted. But as this is not a competition there are no rules! You can interpret it how you wish.
Can I remove the pasta and replace it with cauliflower florets? Much more to my taste

Top Bottom