Dish of the month (May 2022): macaroni cheese

Here’s my “macaroni and cheese” - cold, so it’s a macaroni salad:

View attachment 84630

It’s not elbow macaroni, but around here, just about any pasta that’s not long and skinny, or wide and flat, or a big shell, can rightly be called macaroni.

Dressing is mayonnaise, a little mustard, and sweet pickle juice. Other ingredients are white cheddar, hard-boiled eggs, pickled onion, and sweet pickles.

Building bridges, not walls. :wink:
Usually I say to hell with the purists, interpretation is where it's at. But what you made here already has a name: macaroni salad. It sounds fantastic though, I love macaroni salad.

Chef's all over are playing with it.
dunno about that. I´ve seen it on a few menus in UK, but mostly those which have a standard menu. You know:
Burger
Another Burger
Plant-based Vurger.
Fish & Chips
Steak
Pizza
Mac & Cheese
Chicken something-or-other

1651441789172.png

Which translates to its boring as hell and needs help! :laugh:
That blue box powder cheese is the worst. So anything but that.

View attachment 84635

That blue box powder cheese is the worst. So anything but that.
Now that would be a fun challenge - everyone has to make something that uses that blue box stuff as a starting point or ingredient.

You think that stuff’s bad…growing up, the only spaghetti my dad would let my mom serve was Kraft’s Spaghetti Dinner - same size box as the macaroni one, about half-filled with dried spaghetti, and…a packet of powdered spaghetti sauce.

It’s exactly as delicious as it sounds.

I think it would be pretty funny if this thread lasts for weeks without a single traditional version of macaroni and cheese.
Well, you know that’s going to happen - no one’s going to make plain ol’ macaroni and cheese, on the stove or baked.

I’ve already been thinking about pizza macaroni and cheese…taco macaroni and cheese…my mom used to stir in a can of tuna, or cut up hot dogs in it…macaroni and cheese as a pizza topping is somewhat popular here…make the sauce sweet and use mascarpone and have a dessert macaroni and cheese…do one based on the ever-popular spinach-artichoke dip…it’s endless.

Now that would be a fun challenge - everyone has to make something that uses that blue box stuff as a starting point or ingredient.
I will leave that to the Chopped TV show contestants.
I’ve already been thinking about pizza macaroni and cheese…taco macaroni and cheese…my mom used to stir in a can of tuna...
When I first met my husband, he used to make the kids boxed mac and cheese and stir in a can of tuna. Yeah, NO. Once they got ahold of my homemade version they never wanted the blue box again!

Yeah, I just don't like eating flour, cornstarch, etc. as a thickener. Bring on the heavy cream everytime! I am not saying it's wrong for anyone to do make a roux, it's just my personal preference, and I thought maybe MaximumSam doesn't like his mac n cheese because that.

I sure which lobster wasn't so expensive right now. A lobster macaroni and cheese would be awesome.
Maybe! At the least can't go wrong with cream and cheese

Back
Top Bottom