Dish of the month (May 2022): macaroni cheese

Because, just like macaroni and cheese, Poutine is something that it is easy for people to look down on. But, it can also be raised up a few levels, with some imagination and cooking skills.

Right, I get that and somewhat agree with you but mostly in the skill area from my experience with both macaroni and cheese and poutine. Most I've had are from chefs/cooks that could take a lesson or two. Cheers

Last edited:
Made this one today. Wild garlic (ramps) macaroni cheese. The sauce is a basic Mornay (cheese sauce) made with vintage Cheddar cheese although I substituted white wine for some of the milk. The topping is breadcrumbs, lemon zest and Aleppo chilli flakes. I also drizzled some wild garlic oil over the top. A few wild garlic flowers sprinkled on top too.

Wow, a lot of negativity to macaroni and cheese in the last few posts. I don't like sushi, but it respect it. I don't consider curries to be "deficient by nature," I just don't like them -- at least all the ones I have had. Just because I don't like something, does not mean it is "below me." Being a Merican, I'm used to people around the world thinking I wouldn't know good food if the lord almighty presented it on a silver platter. So I guess I have that mental advantage.

BTW, macaroni and cheese was not a Merican creation. Thomas Jefferson Brought it to the US from Paris in 1793. There are references to it in Italian and English cookbooks dating back to the 14th Century. Macaroni and cheese has some pretty impressive heritage.

Obviously, the stuff from Kraft (sold as Heinz in Yurrup) in the cardboard box is crap. Hienz baked beans in a can/tin are crap, too, but millions of people obviously love both of them, because they sell millions of packages of both of them.

The object of this exercise is to elevate the humble comfort food that is macaroni and cheese. To do that, one needs to put aside preconceived notions.

CD
My stepson, who is the oldest of the four, was old enough to remember his mother's "cooking" when I came along. He asked me to buy this for him a few times (before I made macaroni and cheese from scratch for him). I did so with heavy heart. This stuff is as bad as the blue box Kraft stuff.

1651515098182.png
1651515147526.png

Looks like we are setting a new record. 59 posts and only one dish made so far (and that was a salad!). Time to get cooking!

Here is a version from Michelin starred chef Adam Byatt served alongside T bone steak : Barbecue T-Bone Steak Recipe
I just dumped out a container of old mac and cheese I made about 10 days ago, it's too soon for me to make it again. It's in my rotation, I usually make it once a month, but it's too soon. Gimme a coupla weeks.

Because stereotypically, you as a Canadian, should obviously be infatuated with poutine. Just like I, as a Southern girl, am supposed to be devoted to fried okra, grits, yams, and such. Grits I will tolerate but I never make them at home. Forget the other two! Now admittedly I do meet some of the stereotypes (I adore fried chicken, biscuits with sausage gravy, ec.).

Many years ago, DH's Sister and BIL wanted to take a week long cruise and asked us to stay with their three kids.
Sure.
I asked them what they wanted for dinner one night and the request Mac `N Cheese.
Okay.
Went to the supermarket right down the street, bought said boxed, cooked it up and nobody would be eat it!
Apparently, I got the wrong kind.
It wasn't the blue box, I got the Velveeta Deluxe with shells :facepalm:

Many years ago, DH's Sister and BIL wanted to take a week long cruise and asked us to stay with their three kids.
Sure.
I asked them what they wanted for dinner one night and the request Mac `N Cheese.
Okay.
Went to the supermarket right down the street, bought said boxed, cooked it up and nobody would be eat it!
Apparently, I got the wrong kind.
It wasn't the blue box, I got the Velveeta Deluxe with shells :facepalm:
Yeah, kids can be quite trying at times. Shells are not the right shape, LOL! To take this off-topic, I had a friend who's son would only eat round chicken nuggets. He refused to try chicken tenders when they came out, even though they were made from chicken breast strips and not formed and pressed processed chicken. They obviously tasted better, but he wanted the round nuggets. And he was like that until he was in his early teens. My stepson resisted good steaks when I first came into their lives. I remember the first time I made Delmonico ribeye steaks. His 3 younger sisters were in heaven. He played with his steak and looked sullen. I asked him what was wrong with it, and he said, "This meat is too tender. I like chewy steak." So after that he got sirloin and his sisters got either filet mignon or ribeyes! Sigh, kids!

Okay, back to the macaroni and cheese. I found that I have 2 packages (8 ounces each) of the langoustine lobster and 1 pound of sea scallop pieces in my freezer, so I have a pretty good idea of what I will be doing for my next macaroni and cheese dish!

Back
Top Bottom