Dish of the month (May 2022): macaroni cheese

How did you do that!
My pasta machine has a single attachment that can make pasta with a hollow center, then I just randomly chopped up the ½m long tubes... a couple of times the tubes went back in because as the machine worked the dough, it heated up and got too soft so collapsed. It's not exactly an expensive machine and came to me as a freebie totally unused.

It has multiple other attachments for all sorts of sizes of spagetti, Angels hair, tagiettelli, and various ribbons, plus 2 sheet sizes, but I prefer to hand roll sheet pasta, but I think the sheet is the same size as the ravioli thing that came with it...

My pasta machine has a single attachment that can make pasta with a hollow center, then I just randomly chopped up the ½m long tubes... a couple of times the tubes went back in because as the machine worked the dough, it heated up and got too soft so collapsed. It's not exactly an expensive machine and came to me as a freebie totally unused.

It has multiple other attachments for all sorts of sizes of spagetti, Angels hair, tagiettelli, and various ribbons, plus 2 sheet sizes, but I prefer to hand roll sheet pasta, but I think the sheet is the same size as the ravioli thing that came with it...

Well it looks very impressive. And the resulting dish looks fantastically creamy for a vegan cheese sauce. I didn't know you had a pasta machine. What sort is it?

Well it looks very impressive. And the resulting dish looks fantastically creamy for a vegan cheese sauce. I didn't know you had a pasta machine. What sort is it?

What did you cook/eat today (January 2020)?
&
What did you cook/eat today (January 2020)?

Yep, I've got an Aldi one that came to me free.
ALDI Ambiano Electric (Jul 2017, Apr 2018)
Ignore the negative reviews. I found that it needed maybe 10-20ml extra liquid and stopping it part way through the cycle and resetting it to start again, so it gets twice the kneading (perhaps I just need to lie to it and say 4 cups when there is only 2?)... too wet or too warm though and the dough collapses in on itself. So I just cut those up and put them back through on the manual program, to reshape without getting too warm. Ordinary thread or ribbon pasta is less of an issue. Needs a little commonsense but for a freebie it's OK.

Bratwurst-Beer Cheese Macaroni:

Since this is just macaroni and cheese with a little variation, I didn’t follow a particular recipe. I’m sure I’m not the first person to think of making macaroni and cheese with beer cheese, and then mixing some sliced bratwurst in, though.

I made a standard cheese sauce (Mornay sauce for the fancy folks), boiled some elbow macaroni, and cooked a few locally-made bratwursts in a grill pan and set those aside.

While that was going on (well, before really), I chopped up some onion, caramelized that, then deglazed with a good German hefeweizen and simmered most of that off, then it was just a matter of slicing the sausages and mixing everything together.

It looks like a baked macaroni and cheese, but it’s not - I made it on the stovetop, but I wanted some breadcrumbs on it, so I stuck it under the broiler for a bit.

View attachment 84931

View attachment 84932
View attachment 84933

Since this is just macaroni and cheese with a little variation, I didn’t follow a particular recipe. I’m sure I’m not the first person to think of making macaroni and cheese with beer cheese, and then mixing some sliced bratwurst in, though.

I made a standard cheese sauce (Mornay sauce for the fancy folks), boiled some elbow macaroni, and cooked a few locally-made bratwursts in a grill pan and set those aside.

While that was going on (well, before really), I chopped up some onion, caramelized that, then deglazed with a good German hefeweizen and simmered most of that off, then it was just a matter of slicing the sausages and mixing everything together.

It looks like a baked macaroni and cheese, but it’s not - I made it on the stovetop, but I wanted some breadcrumbs on it, so I stuck it under the broiler for a bit.
Beer and cheese always goes together well!

View attachment 84931

View attachment 84932
View attachment 84933

It looks 'the business'. Do you eat anything with it?

Bought some elbow macaroni today. Thinking about my first mac and cheese that isn't a skillet one (otherwise my preference). It will NOT be topped by breadcrumbs, as mac and cheese by itself has enough starch for me without my adding extra.

Hoping this will be good!

Back
Top Bottom