Dish of the month (May 2022): macaroni cheese

I have one cooking up in my noggin. I’ll probably make it this weekend.

I'm going to try to squeeze two entries in. One more traditional, and one more off-the-wall/gourmet? I have more ideas, but I have to eat what I make, and would rather not eat macaroni and cheese every meal for weeks.

CD
It's not hard to scale, i think.

I'm going to try to squeeze two entries in. One more traditional, and one more off-the-wall/gourmet? I have more ideas, but I have to eat what I make, and would rather not eat macaroni and cheese every meal for weeks.

CD

I have a small advantage here born of adversity. Because my partner has dementia he has no memory of what he eats so I could give him macaroni cheese every day and he wouldn't complain!

I have a small advantage here born of adversity. Because my partner has dementia he has no memory of what he eats so I could give him macaroni cheese every day and he wouldn't complain!
I'm going to own you to the like, you made me laugh. What I like is that you look on the bright side of things, not that harder aspects of it. (I've lost both a grandmother & a good family friend to dementia, both times the last time we saw each one took 20 minutes to remember me (my grandmother) and the other we were complete strangers to her. )

It's good that you can see some 'advantage' to it. I hope you understand what I mean.

Edit: predictive text corrected

It's good that you can see some 'advantage' to it. I hope you understand what I mean.

Of course I understand. The other advantage has been me walking with him as he gets lost otherwise (thus me getting fitter). However, after 2 weeks walking up to two hours a day, that has now come to an abrupt (hopefully temporary) end as I have tendonitis in each foot and can only waddle a few yards. :(

Sorry - off topic...

Of course I understand. The other advantage has been me walking with him as he gets lost otherwise (thus me getting fitter). However, after 2 weeks walking up to two hours a day, that has now come to an abrupt (hopefully temporary) end as I have tendonitis in each foot and can only waddle a few yards. :(

Sorry - off topic...
Also off topic, ouch. Better footwear needed?

This is a link to a skillet mac and cheese I posted here a while ago. I prefer this variety over the baked types, although my brother once made us a baked lobster mac and cheese with bell peppers that I found amazing.

I think the basic things that result in a good mac and cheese (to me) are 1) adding things in other than just pasta and cheese - veggies or seafood are (for me) required. And, 2) the types of cheeses used. A good blend of say, three cheeses, is worthwhile. Chosen for flavor, meltiness, and so forth.

The previously posted recipe: Skillet Mac and Cheese with Vegetables

mac-cheese-5-jpg.jpg

I know they aren't the elbow pastas, but the idea transfers.

I think this month I will try my hand at a different skillet mac and cheese, and for a complete change (though likely without breadcrumb toppings) a baked one.

I'm not certain which is the better picture, so there is my bowl and his bowl. All I know if that afterwards I've spotted drips on both! But the spinach&mushrooms stacked better in his bowl than mine.

All I do know is that apparently I didn't serve hubby enough because he returned for seconds which is very unusual...

Beautiful!
Hubby was meant to have gone shopping last night only he wasn't and didn't. Usually he shops on a Thursday night but he had his car in for a service because he goes in for an op on Monday and the service was due. He can't drive for 3 months after this op (right ankle is being fused)... so I didn't get any shop bought macaroni and had to "improvise" with the 00 flour and my pasta machine! Done whilst waiting for landlady to bring the new agent around the house... The things we do to avoid continuing to clean the house!

Back
Top Bottom