Dish of the month (May 2022): macaroni cheese

All youse guys calling regular macaroni and cheese "plain", I'm just going to assume you've never been served a decent bowl of it.
I absolutely detest the stuff. I’ve had loads and loads and loads of it. It’s a Midwest staple, served at every cookout and church supper, potluck, funeral.

It’s always, “Oh, but you haven’t tried mine…” and I’ll try it, and it’ll be nasty to me. I was once even physically assaulted (and not in the good way) by a woman at the office when I dared speak out against “mac ‘n’ cheese!” :laugh:

Baked, stovetop, four-cheese, bits of ham, crumb topping…doesn’t matter, it’s just icky to me.

I absolutely detest the stuff. I’ve had loads and loads and loads of it. It’s a Midwest staple, served at every cookout and church supper, potluck, funeral.

It’s always, “Oh, but you haven’t tried mine…” and I’ll try it, and it’ll be nasty to me. I was once even physically assaulted (and not in the good way) by a woman at the office when I dared speak out against “mac ‘n’ cheese!” :laugh:

Baked, stovetop, four-cheese, bits of ham, crumb topping…doesn’t matter, it’s just icky to me.
I feel the same way about macaroni salad! And coleslaw.

You are giving me soooooo many ideas. :devil:

CD

All youse guys calling regular macaroni and cheese "plain", I'm just going to assume you've never been served a decent bowl of it.
Correct. I have never had a bowl of it I found decent, and I fail at making the stuff decent too. So I believe it's kids food which is deficient by nature. Change my mind. :laugh:

Also, I consider Heinz macaroni and cheese the worst thing I ever ate. An abomination upon human kind, a scourge on the earth etcetera. I guess not growing up with it makes the difference.

Correct. I have never had a bowl of it I found decent, and I fail at making the stuff decent too. So I believe it's kids food which is deficient by nature. Change my mind. :laugh:

Also, I consider Heinz macaroni and cheese the worst thing I ever ate. An abomination upon human kind, a scourge on the earth etcetera. I guess not growing up with it makes the difference.

Wow, a lot of negativity to macaroni and cheese in the last few posts. I don't like sushi, but it respect it. I don't consider curries to be "deficient by nature," I just don't like them -- at least all the ones I have had. Just because I don't like something, does not mean it is "below me." Being a Merican, I'm used to people around the world thinking I wouldn't know good food if the lord almighty presented it on a silver platter. So I guess I have that mental advantage.

BTW, macaroni and cheese was not a Merican creation. Thomas Jefferson Brought it to the US from Paris in 1793. There are references to it in Italian and English cookbooks dating back to the 14th Century. Macaroni and cheese has some pretty impressive heritage.

Obviously, the stuff from Kraft (sold as Heinz in Yurrup) in the cardboard box is crap. Hienz baked beans in a can/tin are crap, too, but millions of people obviously love both of them, because they sell millions of packages of both of them.

The object of this exercise is to elevate the humble comfort food that is macaroni and cheese. To do that, one needs to put aside preconceived notions.

CD

Because, just like macaroni and cheese, Poutine is something that it is easy for people to look down on. But, it can also be raised up a few levels, with some imagination and cooking skills.

CD

Back
Top Bottom