Do you eat in the car?

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
2:44 AM
Something rascal said in another topic brought this to mind:

Assuming you have a car, do you eat in it, either while sitting parked somewhere or while driving?

Before the pandemic, I would absolutely, positively refuse to eat in a car, parked or otherwise. It used to cause minor arguments with MrsTasty during road trips, because she came from a family tradition of packing a huge cooler full of sandwiches and pop, veggie sticks, cheese cubes, and snack chips, and saving travel time by eating and driving.

The few times we'd go places, my dad always liked to stop and eat, to "stretch my legs," as he liked to say, and just get a break from the monotony of the highway.

Whether traveling long distances or just farting around the local area, I hate the idea of eating in a car. It removes any pleasure of the meal, because you can't stretch out and get comfortable, there's no easy way to hold your food and your drink, and it's just cramped.

Of course, with the pandemic, I've had to loosen that a bit, and we do eat in the car now, on occasion, but always parked, and we have little lap trays that give us a bit more room for setting out our meals. More often than not, though, I still look for a picnic table or a park nearby as a first choice.

What about you? Are you wolfing Big Macs down while flying down the motorway? Cramming fries and slurping a Coke while dodging city traffic?

Water in my car only. Even before the pandemic I didn't want to eat in my car. I had made the exception a few times before when traveling long distances (over 5 hours in the car), but never for just piddling around the roads in Ohio.

Has anyone got a car tray?

Water in my car only. Even before the pandemic I didn't want to eat in my car. I had made the exception a few times before when traveling long distances (over 5 hours in the car), but never for just piddling around the roads in Ohio.

When the heat index is 110F and the relative humidity is 80+%, it becomes a necessity.

When the heat index is 110F and the relative humidity is 80+%, it becomes a necessity.
I'm from Florida, remember? Everyone's circumstances are different, however. I never had a job where I was out on the roads working when I lived in Florida. I owned a florist shop that was 3 miles from home, and in later years owned a day spa that was 5 miles from my house. I always sat at a table to eat.

Back
Top Bottom