Do you eat your 5 a day?

alexander

Über Member
Local time
9:21 AM
We were talking about this at work today. All our staff are trying to eat more healthy stuff this year but most said they didn't get their five portions of fruit and or veg a day. Do you make sure that you do? I don't think I do. Today I had 2 portions so far and i'm not sure whether they count as portions as they were in a sandwich. :unsure:

I really don't think I do. I reckon its not easy unless you eat fruit at breakfast and for dessert and/or eat vegetarian. It seems that potatoes and other starchy veg like yams doesn't count.:(

Today I cooked stuffed marrow for dinner. Marrow = 1. Yellow pepper in sauce = 1/4 (its divided between 4 people!). Tin of tomatoes = ? (perhaps 1/2 each). 1/2 onion in sauce = ? maybe 1/8th.

No-one ate fruit or veg for lunch as they had sandwiches with cheese and pickle (unless pickle counts). Only daughter had breakfast (cereal).

Total per person = 2 at best!

2lb bananas, sofar.

Tinned don't count, fresh only.

I get one - an orange for lunch - and possibly more with my evening meal if we add mixed veg, but I can't think that I regularly get 5 portions per day, no.

We have switched from white bread and rice and pasta to wholemeal though, in an effort to lower cholesterol, and whilst the taste change was noticeable at the very beginning, it soon became the norm and is hopefully doing us some good. :happy:

Well if you are on certain diets, you get 0 servings. Other diets 10 servings. So I really don't think 5 is a magic number.
And why wouldn't tinned fruits and vegetables count?
By that logic, I should have died of a diet related disease years ago.
Scurvy and assorted other vitamin deficient diseases can be prevented by eating tinned fruit and vegetables.
I get so tired of hearing that certain foods are bad for you. Only raw will do. No proteins, no fats.
Well let's see, no protein your muscles will die. Your muscles are made of protein and need it.
As to no fats: the drug companies are getting rich because of no lubrication in a certain area. Your joints also need a little lubrication.

The only sensible diet is one that uses common sense.

Tinned bananas?
You never seen them then!
Tinned.jpg

Thinking that the 5-a-day NHS campaign was a UK only health message, I was interest to read it was an idea that had originated in the US:
It seems the 'five-a-day' message was first dreamt up on the fields of California in 1988.

Ken Kizer was director of the State Department for Health Services. He says that it wasn't a case, as some have claimed, of fruit and vegetable growers looking for new markets, but a mutually beneficial venture for industry and public health policy.

"It didn't originate from the agricultural community. It just so happens that when we reached out to them and pointed out this would help them, they got onboard and became enthusiastic partners."

He says the evidence behind the campaign was compelling: "Beginning in the mid and late 1970s, the evidence became quite clear about the role of diet in preventing cancer and heart disease and other conditions."

Prof Tim Lang was advising the government when it was mentioned in the UK in the late 1980s.

He says: "I was called to a meeting at the Department of Health to discuss whether or not Britain should go down the route of using five-a-day.

"I was a bit sceptical, but I knew the evidence and the policy thinking that unless we got the population as a whole eating more fruit and vegetables, the enormous burden of diet-related health would carry on.

"We needed something."

Despite being officially adopted by the UK government in 2003, people are still eating an average of only three and a half portions of fruit and vegetables a day.

The five-a-day message has always been tied to health benefits, specifically that eating more fruit and vegetables reduces your risk of heart disease and cancer.

Studies over decades of people's diet and health have thrown new light on the associated health benefits.

Dr Eric Brunner is an epidemiologist at University College London.

He says: "What's turned out in the last dozen years or so is that, although some of these hypotheses have been confirmed, many of them have fallen over.

"The big one was fruit and vegetables in relation to the intestine.

"It turns out that dietary fibre is a protective factor so we're still on the side on unrefined cereals, but the fruit vegetables measured by vitamin C intake turns out to be completely unrelated to breast cancer and to colorectal cancer."

He says the five-a-day message still has value though.

"I would certainly not want people to throw the baby out with the bathwater because it is clear that eating unprocessed fresh foods is going to be a good idea, if only because it replaces the not so good nutrients".

Tom Sanders, professor of nutrition at King's College London, goes on to say: "My campaign slogan would be eat more plants! Accurate but, I suspect, not very sexy."

Yes, I think I do.

So far today...

Breakfast
Raspberries 1 serving

Lunch
beans more than once but they only count as 1
2 Nectarines so 1 serving

Evening meal
Quinoa 1/2 serving but doesn't count because of beans earlier in day.
Sweet potato probably only 1/2 serving
Onions twice at least 1/2 onion total so 1 serving
Courgettes roughly 1/4 serving
Broccoli roughly 1 serving
Carrots more than 1 serving
Sprouts more than 1 serving
Mango only 1/2 but think that's actually 1 serving (it's around 100g)

8 3/4s...

Snacks
Dried chickpeas probably only another 1/4 serving but it doesn't count I don't think because of the lunchtime beans and evening quinoa ... all beans and pulses get put together and only count as 1 sadly
But my popcorn does count but probably only as a 1/4

Don't think they include nuts do they?
If they do then I've pumpkin seeds and almond to include as well...

So I think my total is 9 but it's definitely over 5... that's actually less than normal. I didn't have any orange or avocado and I forgot to include the sour cherries or the cherry tomatoes... that later of which will certainly take my count to 10.

@SatNavSaysStraightOn, quinoa, popcorn and (I think) don't count. They are grains. Sweet potato doesn't count.
  • Beans and pulses. These only count as one portion a day, no matter how many you eat. This is because, although they are a good source of fibre, they contain fewer nutrients than other fruits and vegetables.

Can't say I get five a day, and I don't think I'd want to. I eat the things I like, in moderation, and don't feel I'm particularly unhealthy. Perhaps it is something that Western countries are trying to promote to combat the ever increasing waistlines of their populations?!

Let's face it, there's no fatter nation on earth than the US - American's need to learn that lettuce on your triple-cheese burger doesn't make it healthy.

Can't say I get five a day, and I don't think I'd want to. I eat the things I like, in moderation, and don't feel I'm particularly unhealthy. Perhaps it is something that Western countries are trying to promote to combat the ever increasing waistlines of their populations?!

Let's face it, there's no fatter nation on earth than the US - American's need to learn that lettuce on your triple-cheese burger doesn't make it healthy.
We are fast catching up on the fat stakes!

Surprisingly perhaps a number of reputable sources identify Pacific Islands as the most obese... US is 12th, UK 27th, AUS 26th. No mention of Thailand

Topping the list are small Pacific Island nations such as Samoa, Tonga and Kiribati, to name a few. Approximately four of every five citizens of these countries are obese or overweight. The reason is almost all of the food these island nations are imported and therefore expensive, but fast-food chains offer a cheap and convenient alternative.

http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/29-most-obese-countries-in-the-world.html

Back
Top Bottom