Do you ever make vegan meals?

Not since I had my surgery. I was a strict vegetarian/part time vegan before that. But not being able to digest leafy greens, most legumes, mushrooms and dried beans and peas really made it quite impossible to continue on that path healthily.

I rarely talk about it, especially now it's become important for the climate to eat more plant based meals. I worry about the future concerning that, as it would mean I would have trouble substaining myself. And people can be quite judgey and tend to tell me that if I cared about animals I 'would find a way'. Like magically growing a new colon or something is possible.

I do cook vegan meals for vegan friends, and sometimes eat something accidentally vegan. But if anything, I frequently eat vegetarian food still.

. I worry about the future concerning that, as it would mean I would have trouble substaining myself.
I wouldn't worry - it won't happen in your life time, if ever. What is most likely to happen is that in some countries (like the UK) more plant based foods will be available and more people will eat them. That's already happening. Its a complex argument in any case regarding sustainability and plant based produce and not one I want to get into in this thread!

I quite understand that you can't be a vegan/vegetarian and no way would I judge you. Well I can't preach anyway as I cook meat for others and do eat it sometimes!

I wouldn't worry - it won't happen in your life time, if ever. What is most likely to happen is that in some countries (like the UK) more plant based foods will be available and more people will eat them. That's already happening. Its a complex argument in any case regarding sustainability and plant based produce and not one I want to get into in this thread!

I quite understand that you can't be a vegan/vegetarian and no way would I judge you. Well I can't preach anyway as I cook meat for others and do eat it sometimes!
It's ironic because I don't want to be a meat eater, but I literally have no choice. And the public debate forgets there are people like me sometimes.

But yeah, let's avoid further discussion on that.

I do have to say, vegan food can be great! Yotam Ottolenghi can show anyone that. I love me some vegan middle eastern food. If there's nothing stopping you I recommend trying one of his books!

Personally I don't have a clue what a "vegan meal" is.

They didn't have them when I was younger.

Personally I don't have a clue what a "vegan meal" is.

They didn't have them when I was younger.

Tut tut. I don't know if you are being serious but in fact there were vegan meals around when we were younger. They just weren't called that. Beans on toast would be an example. Vegan is actually quite easy to understand - no products which have been produced from or by animals. So no eggs, no dairy, no honey (although some vegans do allow honey). No meat, no fish etc.

Tut tut. I don't know if you are being serious but in fact there were vegan meals around when we were younger. They just weren't called that.

So how am I supposed to know?

I have probably prepared "vegan meals" in the past and I most likely still do, although I haven't done it intentionally.

I cook what I eat and eat what I cook. Beans on toast was one of my regular meals when I was a kid. Not necessarily a favourite - unless there were pork sausages in it.

And to live without fish and chips?

Never!

Vegan is actually quite easy to understand - no products which have been produced from or by animals.

Animals. Does that include all living things? As you know many folks in Asia eat insects - are they included?

Rats?

... also Yorky the majority of Indian vegetable curries are vegan unless they include ghee or yoghurt. So I think you have probably made quite a few vegan meals.

Animals. Does that include all living things? As you know many folks in Asia eat insects - are they included?

Rats?

Yes. Anything that is an animal or produced by an animal.

Last edited:
Tut tut. I don't know if you are being serious but in fact there were vegan meals around when we were younger. They just weren't called that. Beans on toast would be an example. Vegan is actually quite easy to understand - no products which have been produced from or by animals. So no eggs, no dairy, no honey (although some vegans do allow honey). No meat, no fish etc.
Making vegan foods is easy, eating vegan is not, there is a big difference. I make vegan entrees everyday for our customers and I love doing it for it's challenges on a nutritional level and it forces me to think outside of the box, which as a chef needs to be honed constantly, so there is that. I have a different philosophy where animals are part of the life cycle and because bacon and cheese. :okay:

Back
Top Bottom