Does anyone know what this is?

scraper for a chinois - rounded side for mashing thru, edged for scraping down.

That sounds as if it could be correct. Are you guessing or have you seen one before? One wouldn't expect to find such a thing in an average kitchen...

...did a quick search and only wooden chinois 'pushers' which looked anything like the same shape were conical:

1594024094664.png

All other seem to be made of metal and not the shape of epicuric's.

Last edited:
there's a vendor in an Amish market that makes jams/jellies/compotes on-site - I only noticed it because the cone shaped pin is the 'usual' tool and I noticed it was flat handled. she was 'deseeding' a cooked raspberry mash . . . she would flip it and run around the cone a couple times, then flip and scrape out/remove the pulp from the china cap, then repeat....

It looks like a wooden pie server. It's flat and not conical, tight?

It looks like a wooden pie server. It's flat and not conical, tight?

From epicuric's description, its not conical but not flat enough or wide enough for a pie slice/cake slice. As CookieMonster says he has seen a similar non conical tool being used in an Amish market so that seems like the most likely explanation. Jam/jelly making was very popular in the UK back in Victorian times.

From epicuric's description, its not conical but not flat enough or wide enough for a pie slice/cake slice. As CookieMonster says he has seen a similar non conical tool being used in an Amish market so that seems like the most likely explanation. Jam/jelly making was very popular in the UK back in Victorian times.
She said flat handled. She didn't say it was non conical.

I think CookieMonster has the most likely explanation. The only other suggestion (made elsewhere) was that it could be a toy sword. I wasn't convinced because the handle is adult sized, and there is no damage to the edges.

Thank you all for your suggestions :)

She said flat handled. She didn't say it was non conical.

epicuric is a he. :) He said:

It's a bit too thick for that, probably 12mm in the middle, with tapering edges like a sword.

12mm is not very thick, more or less half an inch so it couldn't really be conical. I'm being pedantic. :D

I never said epicuric was a she! I already knew that was not the case. I was talking about Cookie Monster but was incorrect.

I still think it looks like a pie server! :D check out the link below:

Handmade Wooden Pie Server 11.5"

Back
Top Bottom