Does anyone know what this is?

I saw lots of similar utensils on websites with wood utensils. Others had flat handles.

Yeah, I saw some others that were very narrow. Perhaps people were more sensible about portion size back then.

It will likely remain a mystery.

The thing is - this is a wide wedge shape which is what you want for a pie/cake. epicuric's is much narrower. It would be a rather thin sliver of pie/cake...
Also, given that it is 12mm thick in the middle, and tapers to nothing at the edges it would be like trying to balance a piece of cake on the back of a spoon.

Also, given that it is 12mm thick in the middle, and tapers to nothing at the edges it would be like trying to balance a piece of cake on the back of a spoon.
I never said anything about cake, I said pie! Pie could balance on it easily if it were a reasonable portion instead of a massive helping like we modern folks put on our plates.

1594133157053.png

Wooden Pie Server Wooden Spoon Spurtle Spatula

I have no idea what a spurtle is, but the description above is what they have for it.

I also saw this pie server (also on Etsy).

1594133877220.png

Last edited:
have no idea what a spurtle is, but the description above is what they have for it.

A think a spurtle in Scotland is for stirring porridge.

There are two kinds of spurtles: the rod-shaped, single-use original Scottish version and the newer American design, which is a cross between a spoon and spatula. The Scottish version, which is shaped like a dowel, is used exclusively for stirring porridge. Before rolled oats existed, porridge had to cook for a long time, and the spurtle helped in curtailing lumps.

The Cult Kitchen Tool That Basically Does Everything

View attachment 42994

Wooden Pie Server Wooden Spoon Spurtle Spatula

I have no idea what a spurtle is, but the description above is what they have for it.

I also saw this pie server (also on Etsy).

View attachment 42995
A spurtle is a round thing, like a skinny rolling pin, used to stir oatmeal/porridge. Bob's Red Mill company, their steel-cut oats have "The Golden Spurtle" emblazoned on their bags.

Interesting side note...it looking up spurtles, I found a reference to a particular type of spurtle called a "couthie spurtle," that is...wait for it...flat and tapered. Further searching showed that most look like a small hand-held boat oar, but I did see a variety of shapes, so maybe that one is a couthie spurtle that someone decided to make in a bit more fanciful shape. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Yeah, some spurtles look like a paddle, and then there were others that were tapered and pointy like epicuric's.

As far as cake and pie servers go, in the US cakes are usually layered and high, so indeed, balancing a piece of cake on epicuric's tool would not be "a piece of cake" 🤣 but the pie should be easy enough to transfer from pan to plate unless the person was drunk or clumsy (or both).

Edited to correct misinformation in the first sentence.

Back
Top Bottom