Recipe Dutch Salad

Whether it 'Dutch' or not I don't know but I've certainly come across historic recipes which use melted butter in salad rather than oil. I think its a great idea and would provide a different flavour profile.

Idea is now stolen by me!

Whether it 'Dutch' or not I don't know but I've certainly come across historic recipes which use melted butter in salad rather than oil. I think its a great idea and would provide a different flavour profile.

Idea is now stolen by me!
I’m a bit surprised, I must say, at the comments about the salad being a little…less than. Plenty of salads are nothing more than greens and a dressing.

My mom’s favorite salad, and the one we ate the most growing up, was simply lettuce leaves wilted a bit in a hot dressing made from bacon fat, a little sugar, and vinegar.

I'm reminded of the Ron Swanson saying, "Salad is what food eats." :laugh:

But, I've never heard of butter on salad. Bacon bits, for sure. Bacon grease, not that I can recall. Oil and vinegar was big in my house growing up, and when I was an adult and cooking my own food, it was oil, vinegar with fresh herbs and black pepper.

Screen Shot 2022-12-18 at 12.05.42 PM.jpg

CD

I'm reminded of the old saying, "Salad is what food eats." :laugh:

But, I've never heard of butter on salad. Bacon bits, for sure. Bacon grease, not that I can recall. Oil and vinegar was big in my house growing up, and when I was an adult and cooking my own food, it was oil, vinegar with fresh herbs and black pepper.

CD
These are 19th century eating habits we’re talking about…I’m just glad it didn’t call for diced sweetbreads. :whistling:

As to the dressing, it was made almost daily - bacon grease, sugar, and a big splash of vinegar. Always scorched my nose when she poured that in.

Made it right in the pan after frying bacon, stir it around a bit, and pour it hot into the lettuce, then toss.

I’m a bit surprised, I must say, at the comments about the salad being a little…less than. Plenty of salads are nothing more than greens and a dressing.

My mom’s favorite salad, and the one we ate the most growing up, was simply lettuce leaves wilted a bit in a hot dressing made from bacon fat, a little sugar, and vinegar.
I just don't like them because they lack flavor, but I don't consider them below me or something. I would gladly eat them when presented with them, much rather than mushy cooked to death veg. Unfortunately, with my current conditions it is risky when not prepared by myself.

I still love a platter of mixed leaves & veg with dressing and some bread in summer.

Apologies if I offended. In this household 'salad' isn't just green leaves and a dressing. And grated cheese on a salad is a peculiar addition I've only come across since joining this site. Salad has always been a lot more substantial even when i was a kid of 11.

Salad typically was lettuce leaves, onion, tomato, cucumber and grated carrot minimum (that's a basic side salad when I worked in catering.) My family would have added celery to that as well before it was classed as a salad.

Apologies if I offended.
Oh no, definitely not. Apologies right back if I sounded pizzy. I’m genuinely surprised is all. The Caesar salad we were talking about earlier - that’s another one that’s just lettuce and dressing (unless they upsell you the chicken breast!).

It’s funny, because as you go up the price range at restaurants, the salads have fewer ingredients, like it’s a rule that the more you pay for a meal, the less the salad will have in it, and will be seen as more elegant.

I’m going to post a recipe for hot bacon dressing. It’s a standard in my area.

Growing up, we ALWAYS had salad for "dinner" on a Saturday. Why? I don´t know, but we did. Salad was lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, beetroot, pickled red cabbage, Marks & Spencer´s coleslaw and prepared potato salad, with cheese. We never even saw "peppers" until I was about 15; grated carrot was unheard of; anything "foreign" (olives, capers, anchovies, artichokes, etc.) was unheard of.
The first time I ever saw ham on a salad was in 1974, during my month-long tour of the USA. "Chef´s Salad" was on all the hotel menus.

Growing up, we ALWAYS had salad for "dinner" on a Saturday. Why? I don´t know, but we did. Salad was lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, beetroot, pickled red cabbage, Marks & Spencer´s coleslaw and prepared potato salad, with cheese. We never even saw "peppers" until I was about 15; grated carrot was unheard of; anything "foreign" (olives, capers, anchovies, artichokes, etc.) was unheard of.
The first time I ever saw ham on a salad was in 1974, during my month-long tour of the USA. "Chef´s Salad" was on all the hotel menus.

My mom put carrotroot on everything. She had bad eyesight from childhood, and like most people back then, she thought carrotroot would cure that. :laugh:

CD

I’d never heard of an entree salad or main dish salad until I was well into adulthood, in the 1990’s. Before then, salad was strictly a side dish like any other dish, and if I’m being very honest, as a kid, we were sort of taught that boys/men didn’t eat salad, that it was something for girls/women to eat while trying to keep a slim figure. :eek:

We’ve come a long way (as far as salads go).

Back
Top Bottom