Easter 2023

We had a nice, small, modest and traditional Easter. I had two breakfasts, one at a normal time, one upon my daughter waking up, she did an omelette (or ham and egg) variation, as she dislikes boiled eggs. Then we also had a brunch at my parents home. I could see my Mom's back was hurting and my Dad's shoulder, so I was just hoping and praying they remain ok, not overstrained. We did not stay long so that they could rest. So far so good.

I did some clay eggs and then coloured them, it is so difficult to hand roll an egg form, a proper one, (now I know), so my boyfriend joked my clay eggs looking within a range from Dinosaur eggs to partridge eggs ( I am na absolute clay beginner). But it was fun.

Church service, yes, very beautiful and long, on the night prior (Saturday night).

Continuing on food, I experimented with a traditional walnut roll (orehnjača), changing some details, it came out rather well. I also tried Recetas de Gri gluten free brownies (banana mash and cocoa powder). And a carrot cake, also a Recetas de Gri recipe.

The coloured eggs were not eaten, for tradition and decoration purpose only. Next year we talked about using natural colours (red onion, spinach etc), so that we may eat those eggs. I do not like seeing food wasted.
View attachment 98649

The carrot/orange cake:
View attachment 98650View attachment 98651

Glutenfree brownie, lovely strawberries:
View attachment 98652

Breakfast, egg, ham, fresh baby onion, raddish, home baked bread rolls, some pepper relish (ajvar), which is not a tradition but we love it.
View attachment 98653

The walnut roll:
(it traditionally looks much nicer, with several circles, but it was my first attempt, with modifications, so I am content)
View attachment 98654
Very pretty photos! Sounds lovely, too.

Chocolate pairs very well with dried fruit, with sea salt, with caramel, with chile pepper (and with black pepper); with vanilla, with tonka beans, with coconut, with strawberries, with cherries... but I think one item at a time, in general, is the way to go. Sometimes, in a misguided attempt to get the edge on competitors, providers try to create an over-complex mixture of flavours/textures and end up shooting themselves in the foot. " 70% dark chocolate with salted caramel" - brilliant combination. "70% dark chocolate with salted caramel, macadamia nuts and balsamic reduction" - all over the place. "70% dark chocolate with coconut and chile peppers" - yep, that´d work for me. "70% dark chocolate with coconut, blueberries, rum and vanilla essence" - confusing. see where I´m going? I always think of the old kitchen adage: KISS. Keep it simple, stupid.

I am firmly in the 'less is more' camp.

Back
Top Bottom