Easter chocolate (not just eggs)

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
5:31 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I thought I'd start an Easter chocolate thread... it's not just an eggs thread, though our's are egg shaped. Luckily they're not hidden in the garden because visibility isn't much this morning. Dense fog would make finding them hard...

So we've been buying these eggs for a number of years now after finding several Tasmanian chocolate companies that are Artisan chocolatiers (though if predictive text has anything to do with it, they're artisan cockatoos!)

20240331_085028.jpg
20240331_084718.jpg
20240331_084359.jpg

The eggs are guaranteed to be a minimum of 200g, but our experience over the years has them coming in anywhere between 250g and 350g. One is 275g the other 325g this year.

When we break into the Easter eggs that hubby bought, I'll put up a photo of those as well.

Last edited:
Did you see this:

Leave our Easter eggs alone! Doctors fire back at 'killjoy' NHS advice

When I first saw the headline and read the first couple of sentences, I was confused, because here, an Easter egg would usually mean a hard-cooked and dyed chicken egg, and not a chocolate egg, so I was thinking, “Who’s going to not eat a hard-cooked egg?! That’s nuts!” :laugh:

IMG_3796.JPG

This what I have put together for our Easter Chocolates.
That blue bunny is like a plastic clam-shell, and I've filled it with little toys, trinkets and candies ESPECIALLY this Coconut Egg, DH's all time favorite candy, which I have only recently been able to find.
EVERY year ever since I met DH, he's asked for Coconut Easter Eggs - no clue - what's that? I did not grow up with much candy in my life - very strict Mother... "you need to be able to keep all of your teeth for your entire life ..."
Anyways ...
For Moi, it's that adorable solid chocolate bunny, a small box of assorted chocolate and not pictured, a set of fabric bunny ears on a hair band. I have the same for my Mom in an adorable bag that I made for her and her Easter goodies.

Easter eggs in the UK are always (I think I can be categorical on that) made of chocolate. Probably the most famous is the Cadbury's Creme Egg, but since Mondelez took over Cadbury's, they're sickeningly sweet and seem to have far less chocolate.
As a kid, I never had "real"eggs for Easter; always chocolate ones.

Easter eggs in the UK are always (I think I can be categorical on that) made of chocolate. Probably the most famous is the Cadbury's Creme Egg, but since Mondelez took over Cadbury's, they're sickeningly sweet and seem to have far less chocolate.
As a kid, I never had "real"eggs for Easter; always chocolate ones.
They're chocolate eggs here in Australia as well, which is why it never occurred to me that the America's didn't have them as well.

They're chocolate eggs here in Australia as well, which is why it never occurred to me that the America's didn't have them as well.
I had a quick "Google"moment and found that quite a few European countries use painted, hard-boiled eggs rather than chocolate ones. I can only imagine that's the Christian thing of no meat during Lent. How chocolate eggs suddenly appeared, no idea, because all chocolate came from South America until the beginning of the 20th century, and was undoubtedly very expensive.

We have them, but they’re just called that - chocolate eggs. “Easter eggs” would be these:

1711935620626.jpeg

Wikipedia

And you hide them outside for kiddies to find on an Easter egg hunt, but they never find them all, and then you step on one sometime in August when you go out in the middle of night in your bare feet to put the trash out at the curb! :laugh:

Also, just to muddle it further, if you decide to make some colored eggs like that in, say, September or January, just because they’re fun and pretty…they’re still called Easter eggs. :scratchhead:

According to google results Fry’s produced Brits first chocolate egg in 1873 but they believe the first chocolate eggs were made by French and German chocolatiers.

I think if I’d gone to an Easter egg hunt in America as a kid and found they were real eggs not chocolate I would have be very disappointed. It’s a long held tradition in the UK for children to eat so much chocolate they feel sick before lunch, how are they going to achieve that with real eggs? 😂

Every year the boss buys everyone a chocolate egg, ours are still at home. TVC has a creme egg and I have chocolate orange. Chocolate doesn't taste too good these days.
One advantage of not being able to have dairy anymore, cheap vegan chocolate is that bad, we don't bother with it and treat ourselves to the decent stuff only every now and again.

Three types of Easter chocolate eggs here:
20240401_131957.jpg

Sugar coated soft milk chocolate eggs ( Tastes like big m&ms) made by our local patisserie
20240401_131924.jpg
20240401_132227.jpg

Plain milk & white chocolate eggs from the supermarket . I like milk, husband likes white.
20240401_132333.jpg

The eggs without their fancy coat

Last edited:
Americans also have brightly colored plastic eggs that open around the middle. Tiny toys, money, candy, whatever treat fits are put in them and they are often used for Easter egg hunts.

There are also wooden and styrofoam eggs, even plastic of some kind that actually look like real eggs, and don't open, which can be decorated.

Back
Top Bottom