Easter feasting 2022

** For those who don't know, Dick's Last Resort is a place where the staff has an attitude, and you can cop an attitude back. They put paper bag "condoms" on customer's heads, and make fun of them.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqYy0lctdqk

CD
I went to the one in Chicago with my husband on a Friday night. Really unsettling. My husband got drunk and almost got into a fight with the server, LOL.

House of Blues used to do Sunday Gospel brunch. Not sure if they still do.

Edited to add that they must have decided to take a break from it for awhile during the pandemic and haven't started it back up again just yet, except for the Las Vegas location.

House of Blues | World Famous Gospel Brunch

1650061933086.png

BTW, 25 years ago, I was an Elder in a large church in North Dallas, and on Easter, I played the part of one of Jesus' deciples in the annual Easter Pageant -- grew my beard out for it. My ex-wife sewed my costume.

After church, we went home and cooked a big Easter dinner, usually centered around a big ham. I'd make ham and bean soup with the leftovers, and had lots of ham sandwiches over the next week.

CD

I went to the one in Chicago with my husband on a Friday night. Really unsettling. My husband got drunk and almost got into a fight with the server, LOL.

House of Blues used to do Sunday Gospel brunch. Not sure if they still do.

Edited to add that they must have decided to take a break from it for awhile during the pandemic and haven't started it back up again just yet, except for the Las Vegas location.

House of Blues | World Famous Gospel Brunch

View attachment 83700

Yeah, you really have to have a deeply rooted sense of humor at Dick's Last Resort. I'm not a "mean drunk." My "smartass" nature goes up a notch, but that works at Dick's.

CD

BTW, 25 years ago, I was an Elder in a large church in North Dallas, and on Easter, I played the part of one of Jesus' deciples in the annual Easter Pageant -- grew my beard out for it. My ex-wife sewed my costume.

After church, we went home and cooked a big Easter dinner, usually centered around a big ham. I'd make ham and bean soup with the leftovers, and had lots of ham sandwiches over the next week.

CD
So when did you make the leap from church elder to atheist? That's a pretty big leap.

About the only thing here is an excuse to get some nice vegan chocolate....

Was christened Church Of England, by my uncle who was the vicar (?) of the church in Richmond at the time. Raised Methodist my grandparents.... now 100% atheist. Boycotted mandatory religious education from the age of 13. Forged my mum's signature on a letter to the school stating they didn't want me to attend. Instead I got an extra couple of period in the library which gave me chance to catch up on homework.

So Easter is simply an event that means hubby is home for a few days extra and there's an excuse for chocolate in the house, but he's/we've over done it this year.

He has just removed 3 Easter eggs from a cupboard he had hidden them in. He also collected another 2 from his office this morning when we went into town. What he doesn't know is that I had already bought 4, and 2 boxes of nice vegan chocolates (1 box of Booja Booja chocolates, their Easter Collection).

Good thing we're doing a lot of walking this holiday!

I’m not doing enough walking for the amount I’m consuming recently. Stress eating. That’s for another thread.

As for religion. I was raised by a lapsed Catholic Dad and a never very religious but claiming Anglican mother. Then Mum passed and I spent a lot of the next 8 years with a local cult who had split off from the Baptist’s when the Baptist’s decided to use the Good News instead of the King James.

I decided they were all hypocrites and I would now say I’m a spiritualist with pagan leanings.

I do have a lot of respect for Jesus. I think he was probably a good guy who’s message got railroaded by greedy hangers on.

Now. Food.

I’ll make some traditional middle eastern lamb dish I think. The kids want hummus etc.

Family lunch will be a boring bbq at my sister in laws place.

Tower 1. Hubby's contribution to the chocolate Easter egg tower

I've 4 more of the same Easter eggs, plus 2 boxes of individual chocolates (Booja Booja Easter collection) and BooBook Caramel filled chocolate eggs.

I'll add that I'm the one that usually purchases the Easter eggs. Hubby went off and bought these without talking to me... then promptly hid them at work and in our home (right at the back of a cupboard above the fridge freezer even with the stool I can't reach into that).

View attachment 83725

I've 4 more of the same Easter eggs, plus 2 boxes of individual chocolates (Booja Booja Easter collection) and BooBook Caramel filled chocolate eggs.

I'll add that I'm the one that usually purchases the Easter eggs. Hubby went off and bought these without talking to me... then promptly hid them at work and in our home (right at the back of a cupboard above the fridge freezer even with the stool I can't reach into that).

I hope you come out of your sugar coma by the end of the week. :eek:

CD

OK so yesterday I got the spirit and made both potato salad and pasta salad. Today devilled eggs and orange curd are planned for making.

Then tomorrow I will serve an Easter buffet style brunch for me and my husband.

Containing:
- Potato salad
- Pasta salad
- Devilled eggs
- Deli meats
- Deli cheeses
- Orange curd
- Butter
- Stollen
- Bunny brioche bread
- Seeded French bread

Today will be much simpeler given our two picky autistic guests.
- Potato chips
- Stollen
- Chocolate easter eggs
- Cream puffs

And for dinner a choice of fries with snacks or cheese pizza .

As for religion: I was raised by a buddhist mother and an agnostic father. On my father side most of the family was Catholic, so elements of that influenced my upbringing but I was not taught to believe in a God(s) . My mothers side of the family are all atheists. Even her parents parents were, which was unusual at the time.

I became a pagan pretty young in life, due to the influence of the fantasy and re enactment scene on the internet. My pagan beliefs started forming at the young age of 15.
I'm 34 now and still pagan, though not very actively practising I do believe in Western Paganism as my general worldview. I draw mostly from the celtic pantheon, my genetic ancestry proved me 65% British/ Irish and I was raised bilingual plus have lived on British soil so I feel very connected to Celtic culture.

I hope you come out of your sugar coma by the end of the week. :eek:

CD
Each of those eggs is actually only 110g of vegan chocolate, so the reality is that with 9 boxes, there's roughly 500g of chocolate each (excluding the 1 box of Booja Booja which contains 16 truffles.)
A slab of Cadbury's milk chocolate is 360g. My family and most of those i know, can consume one of those by themselves in an evening, so in reality there isn't actually that much chocolate there....

But it will take us several weeks to consume all if it at the minimum.

Luckily I had spotted he had added a vegan cake (a Biscoffi cake) to the shopping list (because i had mentioned that our supermarket now stocks a vegan cake) and was able to convince him we had enough (sugar) without the need for more...

View attachment 83725

Blimey! Not a chocolate Easter egg in sight here I'm pleased to say.

Back
Top Bottom