Easter food

Peeps does mean people here too, but also the candy. I think the name probably came from the peeps baby chicks make, which came long before peeps also meant people.

Easters for the wee ones, kids and grandys are here on the Sunday, I always do a half ham with a nice glaze. Mine is a simple but the best I've ever had. Equal mixture of bourbon maple syrup apricot sauce and a small jar of honey grain mustard. Baste every 15 mins. I think I have a pic of my last ham.
Russ

image.jpeg

We get an egg every year from the company but we don't buy them for each other. Neither of us like hot cross buns. We do like to have a special meal, usually lamb but we haven't decided yet what we are having this year. When we went to the wine tasting evening last year we picked some really good bottles of wine, we have saved 1 for Easter.

Since we're staying home for Easter, we'll probably have our standard Polish/Slovakian style Easter meal. My wife's ancestry is Pole and Slovak.

We'll have Slovakian white Borscht, a baked ham, Mother's cheese and Polish rye bread, steamed stringbeans and sauteed asparagus, grated beets and horseradish, Polish potato salad and coleslaw, and a kielbasi baked in a casserole sauerkraut and potatoes.

Rugelach, a "7 Sisters" bread, and a raisin Babka for dessert.

Since we're staying home for Easter, we'll probably have our standard Polish/Slovakian style Easter meal. My wife's ancestry is Pole and Slovak.

We'll have Slovakian white Borscht, a baked ham, Mother's cheese and Polish rye bread, steamed stringbeans and sauteed asparagus, grated beets and horseradish, Polish potato salad and coleslaw, and a kielbasi baked in a casserole sauerkraut and potatoes.

Rugelach, a "7 Sisters" bread, and a raisin Babka for dessert.

All this is so different from anything I'm used to having! I'd give it all a try although I'm not a beetroot fan.

Mother's cheese

What is Mother's Cheese? And what is in a Polish potato salad?

Mother's cheese is a very simple, unripened cow's milk cheese that is similar in texture to feta.

All I know about the Polish potato salad is that it has onion, celery, potatoes, mayo, and pineapple juice in it. It comes from a Polish deli where the owners are from Poland and almost all of the staff and customer's speak Polish, so it's Polish potato salad.

@buckytom I'll be over to yours for Easter, but can you please leave the celery and mayo out of the salad :D:laugh:

You are more than welcome, Elawin. But I don't know how to say no mayo or celery in Polish.

Prosze, no mayo lub seler?

Back
Top Bottom