Easter food

I haven't got round to making my hot cross buns yet - once I start eating them, there's no stopping me :laugh:

They are more-ish. The last lot I made I accidentally made too large. They were about double the normal size. I ended up slicing them like mini loaves of bread and toasting the slices. Although they don't keep for very long to be eaten fresh as they dry out a bit - they do keep at least a week for toasting, I found. Toasting them seems to bring out the spice flavour even more.

They were almost 6 inches diameter:

fullsizeoutput_2e67.jpeg

My neighbours for the last 20 years are mid to late 80s and are now in a rest home with their wee unit. I had 4 Easter buns left over so,I cut, buttered ( generously) and my home made raspberry jam, wrapped in cling film and dropped down to,them. They were very good neighbours, she used to make a great quiche. Always dropped some over to me.

Russ

They are more-ish. The last lot I made I accidentally made too large. They were about double the normal size. I ended up slicing them like mini loaves of bread and toasting the slices. Although they don't keep for very long to be eaten fresh as they dry out a bit - they do keep at least a week for toasting, I found. Toasting them seems to bring out the spice flavour even more.

They were almost 6 inches diameter:

View attachment 15052
I make about a dozen, eat two, put two in an airtight container for the following day or so, and the rest go in the freezer. They defrost and reheat well in the microwave. and go down a treat warm with lashings of unsalted butter.

Hot cross buns always reminds me of the first song I learned to play on saxophone, flute, clarinet, and trombone. Always that same damn song.

Hot cross buns, hot cross buns,
One a pen-ny Two a pen-ny
Hot cross buns.

After all that, I cooked the lamb on Sunday. Greek lamb with potatoes (arni psito me patates) for dinner on Sunday and Monday, and enough left over to make four thick lamb sandwiches, two shepherds pies, and three packs of minced lamb (enough to make three more shepherds pies). There was of course some pieces for the mutt and the cats.

A bit early but I decided to buy Waitrose 4 apple and cinnamon hot cross buns, nothing significant because to me they are just sticky buns.

Back
Top Bottom