Recipe Easy Tuna Cakes

Diane Lane

Veteran
Local time
12:09 AM
I've been looking around for fish fillet and tuna recipes, since it's Lent. I try to have a little variety in my Lent menu, rather than always falling back on the typical fish sticks and fries that I used to make. I ended up making this recipe the other day. I wanted to try adding in some vegetables to make them a bit more nutritious, so I pulsed a drained can of Veg-All (mixed diced vegetables) in with the tuna mixture before frying them. In retrospect, even though I added extra breadcrumbs, I still had a hard time getting the cakes to crisp up, and they were a bit soft in the center for my taste. I'll probably leave out the vegetables in the future, and just serve the vegetables on the side. I served them with both ketchup and horseradish mustard on the side.

Attachments

• tuna cakes.jpg
    tuna cakes.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 426
I also have trouble with the fish cakes. My daughter makes them with salmon and her's are always great. Did you put an egg in your mix?

I like making salmon cakes. The worst thing about making tuna or salmon cakes is getting them to hold together. It seems like they always want to fall apart. I use egg in the mix..but it seems like the moisture content in the fish is what makes them fall apart.

I've been looking around for fish fillet and tuna recipes, since it's Lent. I try to have a little variety in my Lent menu, rather than always falling back on the typical fish sticks and fries that I used to make. I ended up making this recipe the other day. I wanted to try adding in some vegetables to make them a bit more nutritious, so I pulsed a drained can of Veg-All (mixed diced vegetables) in with the tuna mixture before frying them. In retrospect, even though I added extra breadcrumbs, I still had a hard time getting the cakes to crisp up, and they were a bit soft in the center for my taste. I'll probably leave out the vegetables in the future, and just serve the vegetables on the side. I served them with both ketchup and horseradish mustard on the side.
Well, tinned mixed vegetables are going to be rather water logged I think, even if you drain them. If you want to add vegetables try adding peas. Use frozen peas cooked and completely dried on kitchen paper. I also wouldn't add the raw chopped onion. It doesn't sound right to me.

I've had more success using mashed potato as a binding agent rather than the breadcrumbs that this recipe uses. Once again, the mashed potato must be very dry - not creamy mash with butter! Also, make sure the tuna is completely dried out. Choose tuna in brine or water rather than oil and drain and pat dry using kitchen paper.

Tuna and salmon cakes are my all time favorite go to quick meals. Generally I do use mashed potatoes that are leftover in the fridge. I have been known to make a little more mashed potato than I'll need in order to have enough for some cakes the next day. In terms of veggies, I always use fresh, since you can control the amount of water content that way rather than a can of vegetables. I have been known to grate a tiny bit of zucchini or carrot in as well. It's the same reason why adding grated zucchini to chocolate cake makes it so soft. You don't actually taste the zucchini!

Reactions: L_B
Well, tinned mixed vegetables are going to be rather water logged I think, even if you drain them. If you want to add vegetables try adding peas. Use frozen peas cooked and completely dried on kitchen paper. I also wouldn't add the raw chopped onion. It doesn't sound right to me.

I've had more success using mashed potato as a binding agent rather than the breadcrumbs that this recipe uses. Once again, the mashed potato must be very dry - not creamy mash with butter! Also, make sure the tuna is completely dried out. Choose tuna in brine or water rather than oil and drain and pat dry using kitchen paper.

That's a good idea about the peas @morning glory. I was just at the store yesterday, but hopefully next time I go, I'll remember to pick up some frozen peas. I would have thought the bread crumbs would hold up better than they did. I wouldn't have thought to use mashed potatoes. I think the idea behind the bread crumbs was that they'd function as a coating and get crispy around the edges, but I think maybe it would help to have both the mashed potatoes for the binder in the cakes, then coat them in something that will crisp up, whether it's bread crumbs or crushed corn flakes. I have a box of corn flakes (cold cereal, in case anyone's not familiar with them) that I need to use up. They're too thin as a cereal for my taste, so perhaps I can use them up this way.

@Pat, yes, the recipe called for 2 eggs. Maybe 2 was too much liquid. @morning glory do you think 2 eggs is too much for this recipe? Perhaps that's another reason they cakes didn't firm up & crisp enough?

I'd probably only use one egg. I like the idea of making these with tuna instead of salmon sometimes. I just need to find a binding agent that isn't loaded with carbs. I've tried making these with just salmon and egg, and I definitely miss the crunchy coating. I was thinking about maybe trying some Parmesan cheese.

That's a good idea about the peas @morning glory. I was just at the store yesterday, but hopefully next time I go, I'll remember to pick up some frozen peas. I would have thought the bread crumbs would hold up better than they did. I wouldn't have thought to use mashed potatoes. I think the idea behind the bread crumbs was that they'd function as a coating and get crispy around the edges, but I think maybe it would help to have both the mashed potatoes for the binder in the cakes, then coat them in something that will crisp up, whether it's bread crumbs or crushed corn flakes. I have a box of corn flakes (cold cereal, in case anyone's not familiar with them) that I need to use up. They're too thin as a cereal for my taste, so perhaps I can use them up this way.

@Pat, yes, the recipe called for 2 eggs. Maybe 2 was too much liquid. @morning glory do you think 2 eggs is too much for this recipe? Perhaps that's another reason they cakes didn't firm up & crisp enough?
I agree with everything you say above and cornflakes crushed would be a good coating. I reckon one egg is enough. But if I'd try adding one first and judge the consistency before adding another.

I also make my salmon cakes with a mashed potatoes to bind it all together. I don't use a lot but it really helps. I usually add onion, celery egg and bread crumbs as well as some mashed potatoes. If you leave some lumps in the mashed potatoes it give a nice bite to the salmon/tuna cake.

Back
Top Bottom