Recipe Egg/Bread/Cheese Frying Pan Lunch

thestoryteller1

Veteran
Local time
10:27 PM
This is a very nice recipe for when you don't want to think about what you're cooking and you get bored with simple fried or scrambled eggs.
Here is what you do:
Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan - if you have one that is deep, that's easier.
Add bread in bite-size pieces - I usually use few slices of bread that's at least a day old. also generally I wouldn't use already sliced white bread or any bread that's too soft, because the frying will soften it even more anyway
Break few eggs over it- I generally use 2-3. This isn't exact recipe so I can't help with that
Add 100-200gr grated yellow cheese- gauda or emental will do just fine. i was never a cheddar cheese fan, but I suppose if you like it you can try that too. As I said any yellow cheese that melts under heat
Mix things a little then leave for a bit, then mix again- basically you're looking for the same effect as with scrambled eggs- you want things to mix up and for the eggs to harden, but you don't want to stir the whole time
Other than that, you can add whatever you think may be good by taste.
I usually add some pieces of some salami I have at hand (ham or bacon could do as well) - if I add those, I put them first before anything, so they can be a little more crispy, and also they have their own fat when they start frying, so no need for olive oil
I also like to add olives when I have them
For seasoning, while mixing the frying mixture, I gradually (sometimes) add a little soy sauce, a little tomato sauce (NOT ketchup), some soup seasoning, pepper and oregano...I have found the combination of a little of all those things to give great taste in my opinion.
Anyway, as you can see that's a simple lunch alternative, basically all you need is bread, eggs, cheese and whatever else you find in your fridge and feel like adding...yet it tastes different than just eating those things separately:).

Oh wow, a concoction of the English breakfast so to say! Sounds very filling and easy to make... I suppose I would add mostly vegetables along with some chilies in there and since I don't like any of the yellow cheeses, I'd have to find an alternative to that. Thanks for the share!

How about trying a loaded gypsy toast
Butter two slices of bread
Make up a sandwhich of choice ie cheese and ham
Dip sandwhich in beaten egg and leave for a few mins to sock up egg
Then shallow fry both sides in a little heated butter
And finish in the oven
Egg ,bread and cheese in a frying pan for a lunch
:chef::cheers:

This quick meal sounds interesting. I think I would add some chopped mushrooms or some bacon bits to the mix to give it a little more varity. Thanks for sharing. I will be trying this for a quick family breakfast.

Back
Top Bottom