Local time
4:54 PM
When Christmas is coming around, we think of certain foods and beverages associated with the season. One of these beverages which comes to mind here when Christmas is approaching is egg-nog. This is always a popular drink on Christmas day. I have a family member who likes to make it and serve it on Christmas day, although I must admit that I am yet to use it as I am not one who likes drinking anything with alcoholic content.

Ingredients:
4 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
Piece of lime rind
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup cream (whipped)

4 egg whites
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoonfuls vanilla essence
1/4 cup rum

Method:
Beat the egg yolks with the 3/4 cup sugar and rind
Add salt and stir in the milk
Cook over low heat until mixture coats the spoon
Remove rind and cool
Beat egg whites until frothy
Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar, beating to soft peaks
Add to custard and mix well
Add flavourings
Chill several hours
Pour into a punch bowl
Dot whipped cream on top of punch and sprinkle grated nutmeg over

Makes 10 - 12 servings

Last edited:
I wasn't aware that eggnog was on the Christmas table Caribbean girl. Since I don't do the Xmas table thing maybe I should still give this a try as I am sure my husband won't refuse it. I've thought about getting into mixing the some drinks but it never really happens.

That looks like a good recipe Carribbean girl. Maybe I should try making my own eggnog it is expensive in the stores. My brother in Law used to make a custard at holiday time..that was a bit thicker than eggnog, but you could drink it.

How much does this make though? It doesn't look like it would make alot. It looks very eggy. I haven't really looked at other eggnog recipes.

How much does this make though? It doesn't look like it would make alot. It looks very eggy. I haven't really looked at other eggnog recipes.

I came across this recipe in a cookbook. From what was noted there, it can make 10 to 12 servings. Most people would only take a half glass full as it contains alcohol. There may well be other recipes that call for less eggs though. So far I have only looked at this one.

I have never made my own egg nog but I have bought it in the stores. It is very expensive. I really don't care for it much but my spouse enjoys it. We usually drink it without the alcohol. I am not a rum drinker and don't care too much for the taste. I am going to show hubby this recipe when I get home. I am sure he is going to want to make it,

Back
Top Bottom