Recipe Egg schnitzel with avgolemono sauce and capers

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
3:13 PM
I love the contrast between the crunchy golden breadcrumbs, soft egg and the tangy sauce laced with capers.

Make no mistake, this simple dish can be a bit tricky to prepare. You need to use really fresh eggs so that they poach into satisfying plump shapes. You need to be ultra gentle when coating them in the flour, egg and breadcrumbs lest they break. And you need to be careful not to curdle the delicate sauce. Make the poached eggs ahead of time. They will keep up to 3 days immersed in cold water in the fridge.

fullsizeoutput_8376.jpeg

Ingredients (serves 2)
For the eggs:

2 poached eggs, carefully trimmed and then immersed in ice cold water and placed in the fridge until needed.
Flour, beaten egg and dried breadcrumbs (use 3 separate plates)
Oil to deep fry or shallow fry.

For the sauce:
2 eggs
Juice of ½ lemon
Splash of caper brine
75ml warm chicken or vegetable stock
2 tsp capers

Method
For the sauce:
  1. Whisk the eggs and lemon juice and dash of caper brine together until frothy. Add ½ the warm (not hot) stock whisking well, Place the mixture in a pan over a very low heat. Gradually add the rest of the stock, whisking as you go. Carry on whisking until the mixture thickens (approx. 5 mins).
  2. Add the capers and stir into the sauce. Take off the heat, cover and keep warm while you fry the eggs
For the eggs:
  1. Drain the eggs and pat dry. Carefully coat the eggs in flour, then in beaten egg and then breadcrumbs. I used my hands to do this.
  2. Heat the oil in a fairly deep pan and fry the eggs until golden.

fullsizeoutput_837a.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom