Recipe Eggplant Caviar (Caviar d’Aubergine)

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
4:51 PM
EggPlant Caviar.jpg
If you don’t have a gas or outdoor grill, you can make this by just oven-roasting the eggplant for a longer period of time, until they’re completely soft and wilted. Another nice addition is to sprinkle to top with tangy sumac,

Ingredients
3 small or 2 medium eggplants
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus additional for preparing the pan
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 clove garlic or shallot, peeled and minced (or both)
1/2 teaspoon smoked or sea salt
1/8 teaspoon chili pepper powder
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, parsley, cilantro, or basil

Instructions
  1. Brush a baking sheet with olive oil and sprinkle it with a bit of salt. Preheat the oven to 400ºF (200ºC).
  2. Poke each eggplant a few times with a sharp knife and rest them over a gas flame on the stovetop, or a grill, turning them infrequently with tongs, until they’re charred on the outside and feel soft and wilted. Depending on how smoky you want them, roast them for five to ten minutes.
  3. When cool enough to handle, cut the eggplants in half lengthwise, and place them cut side down on the oiled baking sheet.
  4. Bake the eggplants until the flesh is thoroughly cooked, which should take about twenty minutes, but may vary.
  5. Remove the eggplants from oven and once cool enough to handle, scrape the pulp from the skins into the bowl of a food processor. (You can also scrape them into a bowl, and mash them by hand with a fork.)
  6. Add the tablespoon of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic or shallot (I like both), salt, and chili pepper powder.
  7. Pulse the food processor a few times, until the mixture is almost smooth. Add the herbs and pulse a few more times.
  8. Taste, and add additional salt, lemon, or other seasonings, as desired.
To serve:
Spoon into a bowl and make a well in the center. Pour a bit of olive oil in the middle and sprinkle with chili powder, sumac, or some chopped fresh herbs. Crisp toasts, crackers, or pita triangles are good accompaniments.

Storage:
Eggplant caviar can be kept refrigerated for up to five days.

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2010/07/eggplant-caviar-spread-caviar-daubergine-dip/

Wonder if Morning Glory will make this one!

Last edited:
Both served in blue bowls, this looks closely related to the Baba ganoush. I think Classic33 and Duck59 might be related all the cloning talk aside. About the recipe, maybe at some point I will try this smoky type dish....maybe.

I've seen this recipe before and made it (with more chilli!). It is very similar to Baba Ganoush Same principle of baking the aubergine whole, charring the skin so you get a smokey taste. Well spotted @winterybella.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom