1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp dried oregano
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
14 oz can diced tomatoes, with juice
1/2 tsp sugar
1 TB extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil

Directions for the sauce:
Melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, anchovy fillets, salt, pepper flakes, and oregano. Cook until onions have started to soften, 3-5 minutes.

Add tomatoes and sugar and simmer, uncovered, until slightly thickened, 10-12 minutes. Off the heat, stir in olive oil and basil. Set aside until ready to assemble and bake the eggplant.

Ingredients for the eggplant stacks:
3 10-16 oz eggplants (may not need third one)
1 cup of AP/plain flour, for coating
3 large eggs, for coating
1 cup extra virgin olive oil, for frying
4 oz pecorino romano, grated
4 oz fontina, shredded
Fresh oregano, for garnish

Directions for the eggplant stacks:
Trim the tops from 2 eggplants, then slice lengthwise into thin 1/4-inch slices until you have 20 slices. If necessary, use the third eggplant.

Heat olive oil to 350F in a 12-inch frying pan. Working with three slices at a time, dredge eggplant in the flour, knocking off the excess, then dredge in the egg, then add to the pan. Fry until just golden brown, 1-2 minutes per side. Place slices on a paper towel-lined sheet pan to drain, and it's helpful for assembly to arrange the slices in stacks of large, medium, and small.

Place oven rack in the upper-medium position and set to 375F. Place 1 cup of sauce in a large, deep baking pan and spread to cover bottom. Starting with the largest slices, arrange four in top-to-tail fashion. Spread 1/2 cup of sauce over slices, then sprinkle over 1/4 of the pecorino.

Repeat layers, working from largest slices to smallest, building four distinct stacks of eggplant-sauce-cheese layers (each stack will have five slices of eggplant), finishing with the last layer of eggplant. Spread over remaining sauce, then top with the fontina.

Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, then broil/grill until the fontia is nicely browned, about 3 mintues (keep an eye on it). Let sit for 20 minutes to firm up, then serve 1 stack per person.

Recipe from Cook's Country/America's Test Kitchen

The CookingBites recipe challenge: aubergine (eggplant)

Last edited:
Yes, but I’ll elaborate in the challenge write-up later today. I was tired last night!

I'm sure it tastes good, great even. It's basically eggplant parm with a change in cheese.

For the longest time, I absolutely could not stand eggplant parm but Craig loved it so I would suffer through eating it once in a great while. The only reason was the texture. Making it casserole style, the sauce would make the breading soften and then it would be a big gloppy mess to me. Then, we saw a cheffy show where the chef made individual stacks separate from one another, baked on a cookie sheet. So, we tried that and made an eggplant parm lover out of me!

I'm sure it tastes good, great even. It's basically eggplant parm with a change in cheese.

For the longest time, I absolutely could not stand eggplant parm but Craig loved it so I would suffer through eating it once in a great while. The only reason was the texture. Making it casserole style, the sauce would make the breading soften and then it would be a big gloppy mess to me. Then, we saw a cheffy show where the chef made individual stacks separate from one another, baked on a cookie sheet. So, we tried that and made an eggplant parm lover out of me!
Yeah, I don't like eggplant so I'm watching for a recipe to change my mind. I can't stand the texture or taste of eggplant.

Yeah, I don't like eggplant so I'm watching for a recipe to change my mind. I can't stand the texture or taste of eggplant.

The skin makes me itch and not feel great if I eat too much of it, so I either peel it entirely or use a vegetable peeler and peel off strips.

For things like moussaka, I roast the eggplant, skin on, so it's partially cooked, then cool and slice, peel, then cook briefly in olive oil so the slices don't soak up so much oil and get oily and soggy, and cook just enough so they don't start falling apart.

Both of the above make a difference in taste and texture.

The skin makes me itch and not feel great if I eat too much of it, so I either peel it entirely or use a vegetable peeler and peel off strips.

For things like moussaka, I roast the eggplant, skin on, so it's partially cooked, then cool and slice, peel, then cook briefly in olive oil so the slices don't soak up so much oil and get oily and soggy, and cook just enough so they don't start falling apart.

Both of the above make a difference in taste and texture.
I think I might like it if it were burnt to a crisp, quite literally. Texturally, anyway. Not sure about the taste.

TastyReuben

Please try your recipe again making it in separate stacks on a sheet pan with not as much sauce, and even not quite as much cheese, having extra sauce on the side on the table if wanted. Making it that way did a total 180 for me on how I felt about the dish. I used to suffer through it because Craig liked it. I'll actually suggest it now.

Back
Top Bottom