The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
11:10 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
IMG_3827.jpeg

I saw an asparagus soup recipe that used Dijon mustard, so I gave it a try here. I’m not sure I’d use it again; the taste is good, but the mustard stomps on the asparagus flavor a bit.

But, I will definitely use a bagel in a soup recipe again. It definitely thickens up the soup, even if it the everything bagel flavor is a bit subtle.

Ingredients

2 tablespoons bacon grease
1/2 large red onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 large potato, peeled and chopped
2 pounds asparagus
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (optional)
1 teaspoons smoked paprika
4 cups beef stock
1 everything bagel, cut in chunks
Salt and pepper to taste
Parsley, for serving

Directions

1. Trim the woody ends off the asparagus. Place in a pot with broth, and heat on medium low.

2. In an In a separate pot, sauté onion in bacon grease until softened. Add garlic, stirring continuously for about a minute. Add potato, stirring to coat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for a few minutes, until slightly softened.

3. Trim the ends off the asparagus and set aside. Cut remaining asparagus into chunks, and add to the second pot. Stir to coat, and cook for several minutes, until softened.

IMG_3825.jpeg

4. Strain asparagus ends from the broth. Add broth to the second pot. Stir in mustard and bagel chunks. Cook uncovered on medium heat for 30 minutes.

IMG_3826.jpeg

5. Check to make sure asparagus pieces are soft. Cook for a minute or two at a time until soft. Add contents of pot to a blender, and blend until smooth.

6. Return to pot, and stir in salt and pepper to taste. Add asparagus, tips, and cook for one more minute, then serve. Add parsley, if desired.

Back
Top Bottom