Fancy grilled cheeses

Having read the above responses, I am now very curious about when, exactly, a dish stops being one thing and becomes another. For example, is a BLT with cheese a grilled cheese sandwich or a BLT? Is it about the proportion of cheese to other ingredients? Is it about the individual's preference of one ingredient over another? Is it about how it's prepared? Hmmmm...

Anyway, I have two favourite fancy grilled cheese sandwiches. I don't get to make either very often. One is made with sheep milk cheese. I love that stuff, because it has that hint of mutton taste to it. The other is when I make it with some mild cheese and a nice blue cheese crumbled over it. Delish.

Having read the above responses, I am now very curious about when, exactly, a dish stops being one thing and becomes another. For example, is a BLT with cheese a grilled cheese sandwich or a BLT? Is it about the proportion of cheese to other ingredients? Is it about the individual's preference of one ingredient over another? Is it about how it's prepared? Hmmmm...

Anyway, I have two favourite fancy grilled cheese sandwiches. I don't get to make either very often. One is made with sheep milk cheese. I love that stuff, because it has that hint of mutton taste to it. The other is when I make it with some mild cheese and a nice blue cheese crumbled over it. Delish.

I think it has more to do with how it is prepared, like if the bread is "grilled" like a regular grilled cheese sandwich. That's my interpretation anyway. :)

I like anything that has blue cheese in it, so the one you mentioned sounds good to me. I also like to use Muenster for grilled sandwiches. It's mild and creamy and yummy.

Many kinds of sweet chutneys work great on a a grilled cheese sandwich - they pair nicely with a sharp cheese(s).

One of my favorite ways to spice up a grilled cheese sandwich is to pair a really sharp cheddar with Harry & David brand pepper and onion relish. It's sweet (much like a chutney) but with a little bit of heat to it as well. I like to pair the two on a thick whole grain bread and grill it until the cheese its completely melted, and the exterior is dark brown. A few times I also tried adding a coarse ground spicy brown mustard, which was also interesting.

Another favorite is to get the sandwich size ciabatta rolls from Wal-Mart's bakery, and make a panini with just sauteed spinach, a pinch of red pepper flakes, and some mozzarella cheese. I also brush some melted butter on the top of the roll and hit it with some garlic salt on top before grilling it.

Sort of along the same train of thought as the chutney/relish and cheese pairing, you could also perhaps try a Quince paste paired with your favorite blue cheese, on some sort of multi-grain bread. I've had that as a bruschetta before, so I don't see why it wouldn't work as a grilled cheese sandwich.

Haloumi is a good one ,just needs a good strong heat,I am a fan of good mini goats cheese grilled with sliced beets and balsamic glaze ,membrillo paste is a must and we make a pumpkin pickle sweet and earthy goes well with baked Camembert ,also any rarebit dish you can add your favourite cheese

A sweet pickle or chutney goes very nicely with a grilled blue cheese. Even something as mundane as Branston provides a nice little tickle to something like a Danish, Shropshire or Cashel Blue.

A sweet pickle or chutney goes very nicely with a grilled blue cheese. Even something as mundane as Branston provides a nice little tickle to something like a Danish, Shropshire or Cashel Blue.
We eat fruit cake with blue cheese,

We eat fruit cake with blue cheese,
When I could eat cheese, fruit cake always had to be served with a nice young salty cheese such as Wensleydale or Lancashire. Sometimes a Cheshire would be an option but I always found Cheshire to be too dry for my liking and much preferred either Lancashire or the Hawes creamery Wensleydale. They both counter the sweetness of the fruit cake really well.

As soon as you put meat on your cheese sandwich then it stops being a cheese sandwich. Usually, I may put tomatoes, green peppers, onions, and mushrooms when I feel fancy.

What a coincidence. Grilled sandwich is my mid afternoon snack today. But it's not the ordinary grilled cheese becaused I added cucumber in thin slices. It's just an experiment that tastes good somehow. Eaten with the fresh banana that was part of our harvest the other day, it's a nutritious snack but what I am after is the low calories. It is a popular snack among my female colleagues in the office because grilled cheese helps lessen weight. Don't really know if it's true but it's a delicious snack anyway.

Umm Corhenz,,,,I am not sure where you got the idea grilled cheese is low calorie...unless you have a low fat cheese..and eat it open faced...it is not low calorie at all. However, if you use a low cal margarine or butter...it might not be as bad as some sandwiches.. Cheese is a dairy with a lot of fat and you are adding more fat to the bread. Well, it tastes delicious anyway!! Cucumbers is something different to put on the sandwiches. I usually have a tomato slice on mine.

I love grilled cheese sandwiches as well. To jazz them up I'll add ham, avocado, red onions, or tomato inside. You really can't go wrong with bacon too. If I've got time I'll sautee some mushrooms and spinach and add that to my girlled cheese. I try a variety of cheeses too. Next to the all time favourite of cheddar, I'll substitute mozzarella, provolone or havarti. All these cheeses melt well and have a great taste. I've watched shows where they mac and cheese inside or pulled pork but that seems too over the top for me.

I love grilled cheese such a quick and satisfying sandwich. I don't fancy it up too much but I like to add sliced tomato in it sometimes and bacon as well. Adding a basil pesto would be quite tasty and as @purplepen88 said, substituting the cheddar cheese with another type would jazz it up nicely. I don't like to mess too much with such a classic. A few tweaks here and there is fine but for the grilled cheese simple is perfect!

I think a grilled cheese with sliced portabellos is one of the things that I might wish to try. I have had grilled cheese with bacon and tomatoes. I have also heard of adding chutney to grilled cheese sandwiches. That is something that I think I would like to try sometime. It would give it a bit of spice and a fruity taste as well. Marmalade is another thing to use.

Back
Top Bottom