Fast food, convenience food and food snobbery

[Mod Edit: This post and following few posts moved from another thread to form a new topic]

You surprised me - you like McDonalds?
My Maria an her husband take me no McDonald but Burger King. I sit an look at it, I say Maria is this real meats? She say si mama. I say it seem for me box more to have in common with cow. I take one bite an ewwww no for me.

Sarana x

Last edited by a moderator:
I am originally from Naples however, I have lived in the UK for almost forty years as my husband is English. I am looking to share traditional Napulitano cuisine with others who may be interested. I have four children three boys and a girl.
View all 1 featured items

Windigo

Local time
10:40 AM
My Maria an her husband take me no McDonald but Burger King. I sit an look at it, I say Maria is this real meats? She say si mama. I say it seem for me box more to have in common with cow. I take one bite an ewwww no for me.

Sarana x
But ofc. I won't eat Burger King either, I don't like it at all.

But seriously, I like McDonalds once in a while but don't go there more than 2 or 3 times in a year usually because I believe it's not very healthy and I can usually make better food at home. But I missed the restaurant experience, and McDonalds was the only thing available for me at the moment.

Saranak

Local time
9:40 AM
But ofc. I won't eat Burger King either, I don't like it at all.

But seriously, I like McDonalds once in a while but don't go there more than 2 or 3 times in a year usually because I believe it's not very healthy and I can usually make better food at home. But I missed the restaurant experience, and McDonalds was the only thing available for me at the moment.
Bella I find strange, you great chef an make great food for husband an you. I see picture you make an see a beautiful dish!!!

Sarana x

epicuric

Veteran
Staff member
Local time
You surprised me - you like McDonalds?
Yes! Weird I know, bit it's historic. As a teen, back in the 80's, they were the first fast food outlet to open in our area. I may now have an issue with the principle of fast food, but from time to time I still crave a BigMac, Filet o' Fish, Double Cheese Burger, Fries, Apple whatever they called it, and a vanilla shake. And that was all in one sitting. I was a deprived child.

Saranak

Local time
Yes! Weird I know, bit it's historic. As a teen, back in the 80's, they were the first fast food outlet to open in our area. I may now have an issue with the principle of fast food, but from time to time I still crave a BigMac, Filet o' Fish, Double Cheese Burger, Fries, Apple whatever they called it, and a vanilla shake. And that was all in one sitting. I was a deprived child.
A great cook as you go for this!!!! I find amazed.

Sarana x

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Local time
4:40 AM
I used to be on a forum that wasn't a cooking forum, but had a single cooking/eating-related subforum.

A lot of the people there could be rather snobbish (about a lot of things, not just food), and I would always stand up for the occasional post about someone enjoying canned ravioli or Hamburger Helper, etc.

These people could be brutal in their judgment, so just as a little thumb in the eye, I changed my signature line to, "Sometimes, Only A Big Mac Will Do." :)

Cheers to all my fellow forum members who like the odd bit of "garbage food," there's no shame in it. :okay:

Windigo

Local time
Bella I find strange, you great chef an make great food for husband an you. I see picture you make an see a beautiful dish!!!

Sarana x
I think it's nostalgia , I can explain. A bit of a sad story though so I put it in spoilers.

I told my story here before, that my parents starved me when I was a kid. Well, my grandma tried to make up for it so every time I visited her I got spoiled with food and she would take me to Mcdonalds at least twice in the time I stayed. I think I still like it because of the good memories it has for me.

Windigo

Local time
I used to be on a forum that wasn't a cooking forum, but had a single cooking/eating-related subforum.

A lot of the people there could be rather snobbish (about a lot of things, not just food), and I would always stand up for the occasional post about someone enjoying canned ravioli or Hamburger Helper, etc.

These people could be brutal in their judgment, so just as a little thumb in the eye, I changed my signature line to, "Sometimes, Only A Big Mac Will Do." :)

Cheers to all my fellow forum members who like the odd bit of "garbage food," there's no shame in it. :okay:
Also indeed I want to add for Saranak ;

Most great chefs who work in kitchens barely have time to eat because they are at work all the time. The chefs I have known ALL eat fast food frequently because when the shift ends at 01.00 at night it's often the only thing available where I live.

If we lived in beautiful Italy I am sure we as chefs would never eat fastfood, but here there isn't a 24hour food culture like that.

Saranak

Local time
I think it's nostalgia , I can explain. A bit of a sad story though so I put it in spoilers.

I told my story here before, that my parents starved me when I was a kid. Well, my grandma tried to make up for it so every time I visited her I got spoiled with food and she would take me to Mcdonalds at least twice in the time I stayed. I think I still like it because of the good memories it has for me.
Bella please forgive me, I no wish offend. I some time forget my self an my words.

Sarana x

Saranak

Local time
Also indeed I want to add for Saranak ;

Most great chefs who work in kitchens barely have time to eat because they are at work all the time. The chefs I have known ALL eat fast food frequently because when the shift ends at 01.00 at night it's often the only thing available where I live.

If we lived in beautiful Italy I am sure we as chefs would never eat fastfood, but here there isn't a 24hour food culture like that.
Bella I make food for you what ever time it is.

Sarana x

Windigo

Local time
So what are your personal food horror stories, dear members?

Which produce are you above, which restaurant is sub par? I'd love to hear it, it would be very amusing!

Top Bottom