Fast food, convenience food and food snobbery

My list of offensive food items include (but is not limited to) : cheap cream cheese with herbs, pasta from a tin in sauce, ready made meatballs, pizza with cheeseburger/or fried chicken toppings, any hospital or airline food, spam or corned beef from a tin, ready made sweaty sandwiches in gas stations and candy floss.

At the moment, being stuck at home, I am finding that I crave junk food. Lunch today was coquille St Jaques, in the fridge there is the makings of chicken Veronique, the freezer holds confit duck and pork belly. What I am really looking forward to is the ribeye steak and CHIPS. (Fries, if you must).

I don't feel I'm snobbish about food at all. I wouldn't look down much on what people are eating, except maybe what some people do in the name of pizza, and it's less about what they're eating and more about calling it pizza. 😬

I do have things I just don't like and won't eat. In the way of preprocessed food, top o' the heap has to be the dreaded Hamburger Helper. I can't stomach it, regardless of the variety. For those lucky enough to not get this in their area:

Hamburger Helper - Wikipedia

I don't feel I'm snobbish about food at all. I wouldn't look down much on what people are eating, except maybe what some people do in the name of pizza, and it's less about what they're eating and more about calling it pizza. 😬

I do have things I just don't like and won't eat. In the way of preprocessed food, top o' the heap has to be the dreaded Hamburger Helper. I can't stomach it, regardless of the variety. For those lucky enough to not get this in their area:

Hamburger Helper - Wikipedia

Hangover helper? Doesn't sound appealing. I am always amazed at the popularity of Kraft dinner mac & cheese too, the box is suspiciously light for what it should contain. I never bought one.

It's not food snobbery when it comes to McDonalds. I just don't like the food. I didn't even like it before I realized some health bennies gained from not eating that. I grew up with Mom's home made burgers that weren't flattened down the way those were, and with a lot of interesting seasonings. I also don't like the fries as they are either under or over done. BUT the coffee is good, and I did like the pork McRib - which if one is going to be a snob, is terribly off the chart if one is being a health snob.

Not wanting to eat at Burger King, either. But I do have to admit I did like the old Wendy's burger. It wasn't healthy but it had better flavor than Burger King or McDonalds.

My list of offensive food items include (but is not limited to) : cheap cream cheese with herbs, pasta from a tin in sauce, ready made meatballs, pizza with cheeseburger/or fried chicken toppings, any hospital or airline food, spam or corned beef from a tin, ready made sweaty sandwiches in gas stations and candy floss.

I'm guilty of liking at least 3 of those things. And possibly candy floss.

I can't think of any fast-food chain I wouldn't eat at. KFC is probably my least favorite overall, but I'll even eat there.

I think McD's breakfast is the worst of the lot, but I also think they're the only fast-food chain to offer pancakes and a "traditional" platter breakfast, meaning eggs, potatoes, and meat as opposed to just sandwiches on bagels, croissants, and biscuits. I rarely eat breakfast at a fast-food place, though.

Overall, though, I like them. They're like a candy bar or a doughnut - bad for you, but a nice treat from time to time.

I remember probably in 1990, McD's ran a special price rollback, where they were selling regular hamburgers and cheeseburgers at 1950's prices, so something like a nickel and a dime, respectively, for the weekend, some kind of anniversary promotion or something.

I went in, ordered 10 cheeseburgers and pop, probably cost me $2 if that, and sat right there and ate them all, one after another. That was a good day.

Another time, had to be 1996, because of where we were living, we were sitting in the apartment and an Arby's "5 For $5" ad came on, and I said, "I'm so hungry, I could eat all five of those!"

MrsTasty replied, "Don't be stupid, you cannot!"

Out to Arby's right around the corner, back in the apartment, and I ate four before she took the last one. :laugh:

Does anyone remember the Burger King Burger Bundles, three little slider burgers sold in a paper sleeve? I used to eat those like Skittles!

So I actually had a job for a number of years where I evaluated food, including McDonald's, Burger King, Arby's, and Chipotle. I now will not eat there on my own dime. So quite literally, you have to pay me to eat it. I actually do not like any of the food from the restaurants listed above other than Chipotle, but it's a little high priced and totally a caloric overload, so it's still not somewhere I will go and pay to eat. And of course with COVID-19, even if I were to get food from any restaurant (to-go, of course), I would have to make sure to disinfect the packaging and heat the food to make sure it was safe to consume.

The ONLY things I will eat at McD's are Egg McMuffin, and that was usually when I was on road traveling to my dad's or DD's when she lived in NOLA, and rarely chicken nuggets when it's the only thing around. I prefer Sonic, Wendy's and BK in that order, only because I can get onion rings at Sonic. We get burgers for lunch once in a while, more often lately because little else was open.

When I was staying with Craig's older brother before he passed, he decided that he wanted Spaghetti O's for dinner 1 night, so I picked up a couple of cans for us and stuff for garlic bread. Heated up the Spaghetti O's, made the garlic bread and served up our plates. We ended up ordering a pizza to eat.

I like the blue box Mac and cheese because of the convenience and because, well, I just like.
Unfortunately, my GI tract has decided that it no longer likes it so it has become a very rare treat that I then pay for.

Other than frozen fries, we don't really use convenience foods.

Back
Top Bottom