Fast food, convenience food and food snobbery

No definition as far as I know. It seems to be a relative concept. Offal is a gourmet ingredient in many a Michelin starred restaurant dishes. Personally I love offal. In the UK, those that won't eat offal would probably be regarded as the opposite of food snobs.

It seems things have changed to some degree. When I was growing up it was considered odd by my friends if i mentioned I had tongue for dinner. Offal was never seen at restaurants. (At least with sweetbreads, classmates could think I ate a dessert for dinner!)_

CraigC
Royal Castle, is that anything like Krystal (in the Northeast US it's White Castle), nasty little greasy gristle slider burgers with mustard and onion? LOL!!! Not judging.

I haven't eaten one is so long (25 years or more) that I didn't remember a pickle.

I haven't eaten one is so long (25 years or more) that I didn't remember a pickle.
Well, to be clear, I was referring to White Castle over Krystal. I have a friend who eats at White Castle two or three times a week, and he swears that if you have them hold the pickle, that's what gives you the White Castle trots. "You've got to keep the pickle, man! That's what makes it work!" :laugh:

I think they are the same thing, White Castle and Krystal, kinda like Checker's and Rally's, same food, same design, different name in North US than in South US. But I didn't know that White Castle was still in business! The ones here in Akron closed a few years ago.

It seems things have changed to some degree. When I was growing up it was considered odd by my friends if i mentioned I had tongue for dinner. Offal was never seen at restaurants. (At least with sweetbreads, classmates could think I ate a dessert for dinner!)_

I love lambs tongues, I was bought up with them, things were tight. But now I can't buy them, all are exported to the Arab countries. They get top dollar.

Russ

I think they are the same thing, White Castle and Krystal, kinda like Checker's and Rally's, same food, same design, different name in North US than in South US. But I didn't know that White Castle was still in business! The ones here in Akron closed a few years ago.
I don't think they're the same (though who knows anymore, maybe they're both owned by RJ Reynolds! :laugh:. White Castle started in Columbus, so they're all over here, although we also lost ours in Wilmington, though they opened a brand new one in South Lebanon, right down the road. We also have one within walking distance of my office - I posted pics the last time I ate there, last year. It's a hoot, because there's always some kind of shady behavior there when I go.

My wife won't eat the burgers there, but she'll eat their chicken sliders. They're also known for two other things: their White Castle Thanksgiving stuffing recipe (yes, made with sliders), and having a white tablecloth Valentine's Day tableside service. MrsTasty said, "If you ever thought of making reservations for that...don't." :laugh:

You are right, but if memory serves me (it was a long time ago!), they taste the same. I love a good chicken sandwich. Burgers I am pretty snobby about, as I prefer them made at home nearly always. I hate being disappointed when I order food out.

Well, to be clear, I was referring to White Castle over Krystal. I have a friend who eats at White Castle two or three times a week, and he swears that if you have them hold the pickle, that's what gives you the White Castle trots. "You've got to keep the pickle, man! That's what makes it work!" :laugh:

I've never had White Castle. I tried to go once in college, with a friend. I have to admit, we were a bit stoned. All kinds of bad things happened... Doogie Hauser stole my car!

CD

We have virtually everything in Frisco from 7 prime steak houses, to Olive Garden and every fast food imaginable.

On a two-mile stretch of one road, we have McDonalds, two Wendy's, Taco Bell, Taco Bueno (way better than TB) Jack-in-the-Box, Whataburger, In-N-Out Burger, KFC, Popeye's, Arby's, and certainly more I can't think of right now.

I'm not a snob, but I can tell you that my new medical restrictions on Sodium have enlightened me. One meal at many fast food joints will wipe out an entire day's Sodium recommendation for an average adult! :eek:

My only fast food cravings are a Wataburger with cheese, mayo, lettuce and tomato, a Popeyes Chicken Po-Boy (and their red beans and rice), and Taco Bueno. I eat those as a cheat, and go no-salt the rest of the day.

Oh, Whataburger Ketchup. People were taking so many packets home that they started selling it in bottles in select grocery stores, at their website, and even on Amazon. If you think "ketchup is ketchup,' you are so wrong.

Fancy Ketchup 3-Pack

CD

Last edited:
We have virtually everything in Frisco from 7 prime steak houses, to Olive Garden and every fast food imaginable.

On a two-mile stretch of one road, we have McDonalds, two Wendy's, Taco Bell, Taco Bueno (way better than TB) Jack-in-the-Box, Whataburger, In-N-Out Burger, KFC, Popeye's, Arby's, and certainly more I can't think of right now.

I'm not a snob, but I can tell you that my new medical restrictions on Sodium have enlightened me. One meal at many fast food joints will wipe out an entire day's Sodium recommendation for an average adult! :eek:

My only fast food cravings are a Wataburger with cheese, mayo, lettuce and tomato, a Popeyes Chicken Po-Boy (and their red beans and rice), and Taco Bueno. I eat those as a cheat, and go no-salt the rest of the day.

Oh, Whataburger Ketchup. People were taking so many packets home that they started selling it in bottles in select grocery stores, at their website, and even on Amazon. If you think "ketchup is ketchup,' you are so wrong.

Fancy Ketchup 3-Pack

CD
Looks yummy sauce.?

Russ

Back
Top Bottom