Fast food, convenience food and food snobbery

Sort of on topic -- If you haven't watched Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle, give it some thought. You don't have to be drinking or smoking anything, but it doesn't hurt. An epic fast-food movie. Neil Patrick Harris (Doogie Hauser) does a great extended cameo.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzRvMylDVi8

This is cool, too. Recreating the Harold and Kumar WC order on Binging with Babish.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTk9HnIwEYU

CD
Loved the vid. I'm making the small ones, but not 40. I need to find some small buns.

Russ

In the sixties there was a burger chain in UK called Wimpy (I guess the name comes from Popeye's money borrowing mate). I remember the bun was toasted and it tasted OK although I was only in my teens with very little else to compare at that time. I'd never heard of McDonald's or Burger King.

In the sixties there was a burger chain in UK called Wimpy (I guess the name comes from Popeye's money borrowing mate). I remember the bun was toasted and it tasted OK although I was only in my teens with very little else to compare at that time. I'd never heard of McDonald's or Burger King.

We did have Wimpy burgers here, a long time ago. Definitely named after the Popeye cartoon character. They never caught on. I haven't seen one since the 60s.

CD

Am I the only person who wears food prep gloves when cooking?

I'm guessing that they are synthetic gloves?

I used to wear oven gloves until I set fire to them.

I don't think we really have a supermarket snobbery in the UK. The German discount stores Aldi and Lidl are widely accepted, and whilst Waitrose and M&S may still be regarded by some as premium brands they are in reality no better, and often cheaper than Co-op, for instance.

We don't have the same range of fast food outlets, and other than the occasional Big Mac I will always gravitate to a decent independent, when available. I tried Subway once, never again, and would avoid KFC and Crispy Creme like the plague. I did have a brief dalliance with 5 Guys when I was staying in London a while ago, and I was very impressed. On reflection, that didn't come out right, but I can't be *rsed to try to paraphrase it.

I don't think we really have a supermarket snobbery in the UK. The German discount stores Aldi and Lidl are widely accepted, and whilst Waitrose and M&S may still be regarded by some as premium brands they are in reality no better, and often cheaper than Co-op, for instance.

We don't have the same range of fast food outlets, and other than the occasional Big Mac I will always gravitate to a decent independent, when available. I tried Subway once, never again, and would avoid KFC and Crispy Creme like the plague. I did have a brief dalliance with 5 Guys when I was staying in London a while ago, and I was very impressed. On reflection, that didn't come out right, but I can't be *rsed to try to paraphrase it.

I forgot Five Guys, we have one of them, too. I've never tried them. No reason other than I can't possibly try everything without eating out every day. I have seen videos of how they cook things, and it looks good to me. I just haven't tried them, yet.

Frisco just has so many options. Our local mall has a hotel -- it is a Hyatt Regency. There is a California Pizza Kitchen there. They are unorthodox, but very good. They don't claim to be "authentic" pizza... just good.

You Brits may be happy to hear that Frisco has a Jaguar/Land Rover dealership. It's right across the road from In-N-Out Burger. :okay:

CD

We have fast food at least once a year: our new year's eve tradition is a KFC bargain bucket with a bottle of very nice Champagne or Crémant. Apart from that we have it very infrequently....mostly just for convenience when we're on the road and there's no other choice.

Am I the only person who wears food prep gloves when cooking?
I wear normal washing up rubber gloves when chopping chillies - no matter how much you wash your hands afterwards, you can never get rid of it all!

I agree - Waitrose is normally no more expensive than the other supermarkets, but people still consider it "posh". It does tend to be a "nicer" shopping experience though.

For supermarkets....we usually go for what's most convenient: we have Morrisons and Waitrose close by and Sainsburys slightly further away which we tend to go to (in that order). There's also a large Tesco and an Asda a little further afield but they are huge and always really busy so we avoid them. But we mostly shop online at Ocado (especially right now) - I think some people consider it upmarket, but we got a great deal on their delivery pass and like the products and service so it works for us. For now anyway....they're finishing their link-up with Waitrose in September and changing to M&S...not sure we'll carry on using them after that if their product range changes too much.

There's a Lidl in the next town which we visit occasionally - unfortunately its not big enough to have everything you need for a full shop, but we go there now and again for treats. I'm very excited that we're going to get an Aldi just down the road (in about 12 months or so....they need to finish clearing the site and build it first!). Its going to be a fairly big one so I'm hoping we'll be able to shop there instead of online - according to the plans they have proper bike stands too so we should be able to cycle there instead of taking the car :okay:

Ciao a tutti,
I have one issue for fast food an convenience foods an is amount care when they make. I no snob when come to food people eat I judge no person. When I young girl we very poor we grateful for what ever put on table, I probably then eat some things many would no think to or want to eat so if persons only afford frozen or microwave then who am I say they wrong?
We eat any offal except tripe. If person like say tin Spaghetti OK is fine it just no for me. I make food for many year with best I can get because I can, I feel for those who have little money an can not afford expensive foods but this no mean I better then them! As comfortable as my family is I never forget where I come from, I know what is to go bed hungry!
This is why I am way I am I NEVER waste food, I look at thing an no say bin I ask what I can make. I say to Ray when we marry that when Bambini come I no allow them eat what I did. I saw Mama go with out to feed us 7 Bambini. I see Mama an Nonna grind acorn so make flour so make pasta Mama pay few soldi for bag prawn an crab shell she boil down so make a soup with potato an Orzo. If we lucky there still some meats in crab shells. Sometime if good catch when Paranza come in women wait for buy fish heads in those day most fish came in Napoli sent to Milano e Roma, good prices paid there we could no afford. The Gabello always stink for boiling fish head or shell.
Si there things I no eat because I no like it but if times came hard I eat anything Ray say I could make meal from old boot!!
I would like say to people who judge an say this or that remember 'But for the grace of God go I' I simply thank God for what I have now.

Sarana x

I love lambs tongues, I was bought up with them, things were tight. But now I can't buy them, all are exported to the Arab countries. They get top dollar.

Russ
Wow, so that's why one can't find them in supermarkets... I occasionally can find them at a local farmer, but not many or often. They ARE good!

I simply thank God for what I have now.
Sarana x

I had an altercation with my wife a few nights ago. She said "we are lucky that we have sufficient money" to buy a few items that we bought recently. I reminded her that we didn't win the lottery, I worked hard and saved wisely to accumulate the money that we do have. No luck involved.

Tripe nasty, it just look as alien to me.
Sarana x

I don't mind tripe, you do have to cook it well. Dad made tripe marinara when we were growing up. I made a Turkish soup with it, and next plan to attempt Mexican menudo.

As for wearing gloves when cooking - hot peppers when I remember. I have silicon gloves for removing hot things from the oven.

When we had an extended power failure, and my water was limited, I used gloves to prepare chicken for grilling.

Otherwise, simply lots of hand washing.

Back
Top Bottom