Fast food, convenience food and food snobbery

Yep, I make those every so often. We have Culver's here now, so we can get them in a (sorta) fast food setting.

Seeing as you're in northern Texas, have you ever snuck across the border for one of those Oklahoma fried onion burgers?

I have not had an Oklahoma onion burger, but plan to make one.

We have a Culver's not far from me -- next town over. Had the butter burger. Had the frozen custard. Survived.

CD

Another favorite of mine, from living in Minnesota, is the Jucy Lucy - burger wrapped around a big hunk of cheese that melts into molten lava as it fries and takes the skin off the roof of your mouth, no matter how long you wait for it to cool down. :laugh:

I have made a few Juicy Lucys. Lot of work, and very messy. Not my favorite.

CD

I have not had an Oklahoma onion burger, but plan to make one.

We have a Culver's not far from me -- next town over. Had the butter burger. Had the frozen custard. Survived.

CD
:laugh:

Whenever we drive by Culver's, MrsTasty will break her neck trying to read the custard flavor of the day on the sign. I don't really care for ice cream or frozen custard, so when we do stop for lunch, we'll have burgers and fries, then she'll get the custard and I'll get...an order of cheese curds. :laugh:

Oh, I see. That's how I got addicted to ground filet mignon burgers, because that DOES set my world on fire! If it's not a cut of meat I would eat whole, I don't want it as a burger.

I would eat your filet mignon burger for sure. That could make all the difference. :okay:

Do you like sausages? That's ground meat.

Not very much but it depends - if its cured sausage then yes. I also do eat old fashioned British bangers sometimes but that is a comfort food thing with mash and onion gravy.

I'm not a big meat eater. Maybe that is why I don't understand burgers?

They don't have to be that way. There was a trend in foodie circles of these burgers with half-pint or bigger beef patties that were the true sign of a gourmet burger. Some of that still hangs on.

But, now once of the biggest trends is smash burgers. They are thin meat patties, with lots of crispy crust, and potent beef flavor. Personally, I'd rather have two smash burger patties on a bun that one giant beef patty cooked medium rare on a bun that disintegrates as you eat. I love medium rare steaks, but medium rare burgers feel mushy in my mouth.

There are no rules with burgers in the US. Maybe you just haven't found "your" burger.

CD

The only burger I ever thought was any good I ate on the only trip I had to America. It might have been 'holiday tastebuds' though!

Burgers are pretty much our national food. You are bound to find one you like here. I wouldn't go to Dallas and order fish and chips. A burger in London would not be my first choice, either.

CD

The only burger I ever thought was any good I ate on the only trip I had to America. It might have been 'holiday tastebuds' though!
When we were living in the UK, one 4th of July, my (American) supervisor invited all of us (is subordinates and wives/girlfriends) over for a cookout, the traditional thing Americans do on July 4th. Since he lived in a rowhouse off the airbase, he also invited al his British neighbors.

We ate burgers, hot dogs, people brought side dishes, drank lots of beer, all the normal stuff, but I distinctly remember going into the house to use the toilet, and happening upon one of the older neighbors furiously shaking my boss's hand, and saying (with real emotion), "Thank you so much for including me. I've been all around the world in my life, and there is no one who can make a beef burger like you Americans! There is just something in you that allows you to do it better than anyone else!"

It was actually quite touching, as he was older and had been somewhat abandoned by his daughter and he didn't really have any family.

Actually, that's a good size for a burger patty. About a quarter pound.

CD
Yes, LOL, I can do the math. I understand that there are 16 ounces to a pound and that 4 ounces is a quarter pound. But considering that when I go to a restaurant, the burgers on the menus are generally 8 ounces, 3-4 ounces is considerably smaller. And a brioche bun requires some heft. Plus without fries or other sides, I want to not be hungry when I am finished eating it.

Yes, LOL, I can do the math. I understand that there are 16 ounces to a pound and that 4 ounces is a quarter pound. But considering that when I go to a restaurant, the burgers on the menus are generally 8 ounces, 3-4 ounces is considerably smaller. And a brioche bun requires some heft. Plus without fries or other sides, I want to not be hungry when I am finished eating it.

I've had a brioche bun once, rock hard, never again.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom