Fast food, convenience food and food snobbery

To this I'd add, for people always on the go in their cars - relatively easy to eat while driving. (Even if I can't eat a 5 Guys burger that way.)

And you get the basic food groups: starch, fat, salt, and maybe a little iceberg lettuce crunch. (Okay, the last sentence is a bit...)

Five Guys is very good!! Another good place in Shake Shack, They even have beer. Both places do not freeze their burgers. They are made fresh every day!! :wink:

I rarely ever eat burgers. Only when out and about and I need to eat. I never eat fries. Love them but don't eat them, who needs all those calories? Not me. And I always get water, tea without sugar or sometimes diet iced coffee.

Here is a question. Burgers have been dominating this thread (I seriously can't remember the last time I ate one - it must be years ago). They aren't something I ever crave or even particularly like.

The question is: why are burgers so popular?
Have you ever tried a flame-broiled burger with crisp bacon, a really good melted cheese (I like sharp cheddar), fresh tomato and lettuce from your garden, and put it on a brioche bun with your favorite condiments? That might change your mind. A burger is also good with sauteed mushrooms and onions and melted cheese (no lettuce or tomato for that one).

Have you ever tried a flame-broiled burger with crisp bacon, a really good melted cheese (I like sharp cheddar), fresh tomato and lettuce from your garden, and put it on a brioche bun with your favorite condiments? That might change your mind. A burger is also good with sauteed mushrooms and onions and melted cheese (no lettuce or tomato for that one).

Not exactly - but its still ground up meat which doesn't set my world on fire. The thing I like best about burgers are the bits you put on them - the sort of things you list plus lots of spicy relish. I've never eaten one with a bun because they always come with chips and it would be too much carbs for me.

Oh, I see. That's how I got addicted to ground filet mignon burgers, because that DOES set my world on fire! If it's not a cut of meat I would eat whole, I don't want it as a burger. So that's why I don't really like eating them at restaurants. And my patties are ultra thin, with the other toppings having equal or heavier weight. They go way overboard on the burger size at most places.

And I would skip the chips. I never make fries with my burgers at home, but I load up on the fresh veggies. My husband likes lots of pickles on his, and sometimes he makes a horseradish mayo or puts Bleu cheese on it. But not with the pickles. The pickles go with plain mayo, mustard, and ketchup, and American cheese for him. I like an aioli on mine at times. There are just so many options!!!

Not exactly - but its still ground up meat which doesn't set my world on fire. The thing I like best about burgers are the bits you put on them - the sort of things you list plus lots of spicy relish. I've never eaten one with a bun because they always come with chips and it would be too much carbs for me.
Do you like sausages? That's ground meat.

A lot of people I know want meat, meat, and more meat when it comes to a burger - a high meat-to-other-stuff ratio.

I like a good bit of bread with my burger, so the bun is important to me.

In the US, we have so many varieties and ways to cook a burger. There are regional burgers -- I'm 59 years old, and still haven't eaten all the regional burgers you can get in the US. There are big burgers so thick you can't fit them in your mouth, and there are Smash-burgers that are so thin, they cook in no time, and have incredible Maillard reaction flavors. And, it seems like every decent size town has a burger joint you have to try while you are there.

Maybe burgers are America's Curries. They are a food that is part of our DNA.

You should check out George Motz. He literally wrote the book on Hamburgers in the US. Here is a clip to introduce you to him...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdvZC91YpMs&list=PL6L2P8_kLnxL7a8QF63d8TUsCpJx8ksNW

CD

Last edited:
In the US, we have so many varieties and ways to cook a burger. There are regional burgers -- I'm 59 years old, and still haven't eaten all the regional burgers you can get in the US. There are big burgers so thick you can't fit them in your mouth, and there are Smash-burgers that are so thin, they cook in no time, and have incredible Maillard reaction flavors. And, it seems like every decent size town has a burger joint you have to try while you are there.

Maybe burgers are America's Curries. They are a food that is part of our DNA.

CD
First I gave you a Like, but I had to change it to a Love after your last couple of sentences. You nailed it.

My favorite burger to get around here is a slawburger- usually a thin, crispy-fried patty (like a smashburger) with a slice of cheese, a bit of ketchup, and a heapin' helpin' of mayo-based cole slaw piled on. Like the song says, "I'll have a slawburger, fries, and a bottle of Ski/Bring it on out to my baby and me!"

When I was a kid/teen, they were everywhere around here (my favorite was from Hyde's Dairy Bar in Hamilton, OH), but with the explosion of "gourmet" burger chains, I see them on offer in fewer and fewer places. More often than not, when I make a burger at home, that's what I do with it.

When I first brought my future-wife to meet the family, I took her to Hyde's for her first slawburger, and she was, let's say, very unsure of the whole thing, but one bite, and it was an, "oh...My...GAWD!" moment for her. She was floored! Laid out! Started speaking in tongues and walking backwards. Before that, she'd have a burger every few months at best. ASB (After Slawburger), she wants a slawburger all the time.

First I gave you a Like, but I had to change it to a Love after your last couple of sentences. You nailed it.

My favorite burger to get around here is a slawburger- usually a thin, crispy-fried patty (like a smashburger) with a slice of cheese, a bit of ketchup, and a heapin' helpin' of mayo-based cole slaw piled on. Like the song says, "I'll have a slawburger, fries, and a bottle of Ski/Bring it on out to my baby and me!"

When I was a kid/teen, they were everywhere around here (my favorite was from Hyde's Dairy Bar in Hamilton, OH), but with the explosion of "gourmet" burger chains, I see them on offer in fewer and fewer places. More often than not, when I make a burger at home, that's what I do with it.

When I first brought my future-wife to meet the family, I took her to Hyde's for her first slawburger, and she was, let's say, very unsure of the whole thing, but one bite, and it was an, "oh...My...GAWD!" moment for her. She was floored! Laid out! Started speaking in tongues and walking backwards. Before that, she'd have a burger every few months at best. ASB (After Slawburger), she wants a slawburger all the time.

This burger is a bit West of you, but is famous in that part of the midwest. I'm sure you have had a Butter-Burger. Yeah, it is heart disease on a bun, but people love them. I ate one, and that was one-and-done for me. It was good, but I felt like I ate a bowling ball.

CD

This burger is a bit West of you, but is famous in that part of the midwest. I'm sure you have had a Butter-Burger. Yeah, it is heart disease on a bun, but people love them. I ate one, and that was one-and-done for me. It was good, but I felt like I ate a bowling ball.

CD
Yep, I make those every so often. We have Culver's here now, so we can get them in a (sorta) fast food setting.

Seeing as you're in northern Texas, have you ever snuck across the border for one of those Oklahoma fried onion burgers?

Yep, I make those every so often. We have Culver's here now, so we can get them in a (sorta) fast food setting.

Seeing as you're in northern Texas, have you ever snuck across the border for one of those Oklahoma fried onion burgers?
Another favorite of mine, from living in Minnesota, is the Jucy Lucy - burger wrapped around a big hunk of cheese that melts into molten lava as it fries and takes the skin off the roof of your mouth, no matter how long you wait for it to cool down. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom