Recipe Flageolet Verts in Garlic & Wine Sauce

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:31 PM
Delicate flageolet verts are perfect in this creamy wine, butter and garlic sauce. I used only a small amount of spinach here but you can vary the quantity or even leave it out altogether. I used some of the water from the can of beans to thicken the sauce. If you wish you could add a splash of cream too. This dish would make an excellent accompaniment to roast lamb or pork or some good quality sausages.

Ingredients (serves 2 as a side dish)
1 x 400g tin of flageolet verts (240g drained weight) plus some can water
30g raw baby spinach (optional)
½ a red onion, very finely sliced
1 very large clove of garlic, finely sliced
30g butter
50ml white wine
½ tsp fennel seeds
A few sprigs of thyme
White pepper
Salt
A splash of cream (optional)

Method
  1. Gently heat the butter in a pan until it begins to foam. Add the red onion and garlic slivers and fry gently until the onion has softened. Add the fennel seeds and fry for a few seconds.
  2. Add the wine and heat until it reaches a simmer.
  3. Add the beans, thyme and a few tablespoons of the bean water.
  4. Simmer for 10 minutes adding more bean water as required until the sauce reaches a creamy consistency.
  5. Season with salt and white pepper, to taste.
  6. Add the raw spinach, if using, and allow to wilt in the sauce.
  7. Add a splash of cream and stir through before serving (optional)

MG, I had to look up flageolet verts. The only substitution I found was cannellini beans. Would say that is accurate? I can taste all the other ingredients in my head. I just want to get an idea about the beans themselves.

CD

As we come to judgement day :eek:, I face down the perpetual challenge of online competitions -- judging food without tasting it. The pictures do help -- some.

I will probably have to research some beans and other ingredients, and may ask a few questions.

CD

MG, I had to look up flageolet verts. The only substitution I found was cannellini beans. Would say that is accurate? I can taste all the other ingredients in my head. I just want to get an idea about the beans themselves.

CD
I can get flageolet beans here, but dried only, not canned. I have to go to the gourmet store for them; they're the ones I used in my cassoulet.

You might have luck looking at a similar place in your area. I may even be able to get them canned at the large international market - I've never had a need to look.

In the cassoulet recipe, they recommended Great Northern beans as a substitute.

CD

Yes, similar - they are perhaps a little sweeter and more delicate in taste.

Made this tonight. I pretty much followed the recipe, except I added just a touch of EVOO so the butter wouldn't burn, crushed the fennel seeds a bit, and I added a little more wine, basically to finish the little bottle. Also, since I had it, finished the dish with some fennel pollen.

I used dried beans, 1 cup, overnight soak, then 6 cups of water, fresh thyme sprigs and a bay leaf. Cooked for 1.5 hours. Salt after they were soft. A Martha Stewert recipe. There was way too much water so would cut that down to 3 cups and add if needed. I had to aggressively season the dried beans FYI.

Next time, I may thinly slice some fresh fennel and add that with the red onions.

A very good recipe!

Last edited:
Made this again tonight. I browned the sausage in EVOO, removed them, cooked the veges, added the liquid and the sausages, though I added about 3/4 cup of the cooking liquid, simmered for 6 minutes, then proceeded as recipe is written. Fennel pollen again to finish.

I forgot about getting some fresh fennel to add. Hopefully., I'll remember next times.

Oh. I used about 3/4 cup dried beans, soaked for about 8 hours, pressure cooked for 4 minutes, with 3 cups of water, a bit of salt and a bay leaf, after it came up to pressure, then natural release. Perfect.

Last edited:
I'm glad that you brought up this recipe again medtran49! I spotted some wild duck at the butchers yesterday, and this would go perfectly with them. I have some fresh fennel so may put this in instead of the spinach, but will need to tweek the cooking times.

We were watching the Dooky Chase cooking show and they made a dish for Lent using shrimp and Lima beans. Since Craig loathes lima beans and they are certainly not my favorite, I thought about this recipe. I had to do a little searching because I couldn't remember the name of the bean, but obviously found it. I'm going to make this again soon and throw some shrimp in at the end.

Back
Top Bottom