Flaunt your omelette here!

...not good at making them...

may I suggest checking the manymany videos with Jacques Pépin. he is the absolute expert - especially demonstrating the several 'techniques' to put a yummy omelet on the plate . . .
and indeed, technique is a factor in making omelets

there are many different styles -
- egg 'shell' with fillings
- 'fillings' mixed with the egg mixture pre-cooking
- "purist French" fluffy curd - never a brown spot
- French/et. al. "country style" - which is with the browned outer 'crust'

This from a few days ago.
Asparagus yellow tomatoes eggs and cream.

Russ

17091501154116389929536249812577.jpg

I like omelettes, but I am not good at making them...
I'll give you my take on omelettes, for what it's worth:happy:
I take a small frying pan and heat it up to max.
Whack in a generous blob of butter. When it sizzles like mad, I add the eggs - previously beaten to Hell and back, usually with a fork.
Once the eggs start to set (which usually takes about 10 seconds) I lift up the egg and allow the liquid egg to drizzle underneath. Keep doing that until the egg is set on the bottom - and it only takes 45 seconds or so. Add cheese, ham, or whatever you want. When it's still slightly uncooked on top, fold it over. Give it 10 seconds more and it's ready.
Not Jacques Pepin (I wish I could cook even 1% of how he does!), not French (because my omelettes are slightly browned), but heck, it works for me.

I'll give you my take on omelettes, for what it's worth:happy:
I take a small frying pan and heat it up to max.
Whack in a generous blob of butter. When it sizzles like mad, I add the eggs - previously beaten to Hell and back, usually with a fork.
Once the eggs start to set (which usually takes about 10 seconds) I lift up the egg and allow the liquid egg to drizzle underneath. Keep doing that until the egg is set on the bottom - and it only takes 45 seconds or so. Add cheese, ham, or whatever you want. When it's still slightly uncooked on top, fold it over. Give it 10 seconds more and it's ready.
Not Jacques Pepin (I wish I could cook even 1% of how he does!), not French (because my omelettes are slightly browned), but heck, it works for me.

That is just how I cook them too. And I was taught by a French man...

Homemade American style overstuffed omelet: Filling consists of peppers, onion, garlic, cremini mushrooms, bacon, spinach, some leftover shredded chicken, havarti and cheddar cheese.
1709248469131.jpeg

That's a lot of stuff there!!

Russ
Go big or go home! Hey, we Americans do that sometimes. I have been known to be as basic as a cheese omelette, but more often than not I love a big ole' overblown and audacious American style omelet! And it was super yummy!

I have been known to be as basic as a cheese omelette, but more often than not I love a big ole' overblown and audacious American style omelet!
I usually prefer just one or two fillings (and cheese - cheese doesn’t count as a filling, in much the same way that cheese doesn’t count as a pizza topping :laugh: ), but an omelette (in its many forms) is also a good “fridge cleaner” dish - whatever bits and bobs you’ve got hanging around in there…throw ‘em in the skillet with a few eggs!

I usually prefer just one or two fillings (and cheese - cheese doesn’t count as a filling, in much the same way that cheese doesn’t count as a pizza topping :laugh: ), but an omelette (in its many forms) is also a good “fridge cleaner” dish - whatever bits and bobs you’ve got hanging around in there…throw ‘em in the skillet with a few eggs!
Yeah, but you're not a typical American. Everyone knows you're a Brit disguised as a Midwesterner.

And yes, I don't tell hubby I'm using leftovers to make space in the frige. I spin it to sound decadent and special!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom