Recipe Fluffy Bread Rolls

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
3:22 PM
This recipe is slightly adapted from a recipe link posted by @Yorky in another thread (here): hot-dog-bread-rolls-recipe. I cut the sugar right down but otherwise more or less followed the recipe. The result was good! Very fluffy rolls which kept well for several days. They were a little crumbly so perhaps more fat could be added? I'd add a tbsp of olive oil perhaps. But really they are very good!

fullsizeoutput_2beb.jpeg

Ingredients*
450 g (16 oz) strong white flour
200 ml (7 fl oz) lukewarm water
1 tsp sugar
25 g (1 oz) butter, melted
2 eggs
7 g dried yeast
9 g salt

*see here for U.S. measures, kindly provided by @medtran49.

Method

1. Put the sugar and yeast into the water, mix well and leave for 10 minutes for the yeast to activate. Break one egg into a bowl.
  2. Separate the second egg into yolk and white. Add the yolk to the first egg and add 4 tbsp of water to the egg white. Beat both items separately.
  3. Sift the flour into a bowl, add the salt and mix. Make a well in the centre and add the yeast/water, the melted butter and the egg and egg white mixtures. Mix to a soft and slightly sticky dough.
  4. Turn the dough out onto a well floured surface. Knead well for 10 minutes, sprinkling the surface with flour from time to time if the dough starts to stick.
  5. Make the dough into a ball and place in a lightly greased bowl. Cover and place in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size.
  6. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knock the dough back and cut into 8 pieces.
  7. Flour your hands and shape each piece into a ball.
  8. Take a ball of dough and stretch/ roll it out to about 5" x 3" (12cm x 7cm).
  9. Fold the dough in thirds longways, place the seam on the bottom and tuck the ends under to create the roll shape. Repeat with the remaining balls of dough.
  10. Place the dough rolls on a lightly-greased baking sheet about ½" (1 cm) apart. Cover and leave in a warm place for about an hour or until the dough has puffed up and the rolls are just touching.
  11. Brush the tops of the rolls lightly with the egg white/water mixture.*
  12. Bake at 175°C/350°F fan oven, 190°C/375°F normal oven for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Place on a wire rack to cool.
*I simply dusted with flour. I added the egg white mixture to the dough - which might not be correct! I beat the egg white and water until frothy before adding to the dough in stage 3. I like to think this helped make the bread fluffy!

fullsizeoutput_2bed.jpeg

Last edited:
I was going to bake some today but we have only 1 egg left (there was none in the supermarket yesterday). We'll get some from the market on Monday evening.

I've been delaying baking them myself as I heard our local (expensive) supermarket had started baking and selling them. Today I discovered that they contained 7.5% sugar so I shall not be bothering.

It's "Makha Bucha" (มาฆบูชา) day tomorrow so my wife will be at the temple all morning therefore I may try tomorrow.

(As with most important religous days in Thailand the sale of alcohol will not be permitted therefore I stocked up this morning).

Hey @morning glory , we messed with your buns. Fresh out of the oven. Crab and shrimp salad will be going in them later. At least if they last that long, they smell soooo good!

View attachment 14290

They weren't my buns - I mean not my recipe. Yours are looking very fluffy! Did you change anything in the recipe?

*I simply dusted with flour. I added the egg white mixture to the dough - which might not be correct! I beat the egg white and water until frothy before adding to the dough in stage 3. I like to think this helped make the bread fluffy!

@medtran49 - did you put the egg white mix into the dough? I keep thinking that this wasn't right but what the hell, if it worked?

Back
Top Bottom