Food & cooking abbreviations & nicknames

I do also get annoyed at “sammich” for sandwich, because it’s rooted in making fun of supposedly less-educated rural people (aka hillbilly-speech). It’s evolved beyond that, of course, but that’s how it was used in the past.

You'd say 'veg'?! I would never, ever say that.
Yeah, you’ll see “meat & two veg” listed for lunch specials. It would depend on the circumstance. I wouldn’t walk in grocery store and ask where the veg is, but I might ask a restaurant server what the veg of the day is.

Yeah, you’ll see “meat & two veg” listed for lunch specials. It would depend on the circumstance. I wouldn’t walk in grocery store and ask where the veg is, but I might ask a restaurant server what the veg of the day is.
I should also add that “meat & two veg” is a euphemism for something else entirely. Let’s just get that out of the way right now. :laugh:

When some people say broiler when they mean grill, and say grill when they mean barbecue.
But that's not abbreviation or shortened, that's just misuse or perhaps a different meaning of a word due to different usage in a different country. To me, the broiler is the top heatling element in my oven. The grill is in my garage and my husband might grill steaks or cook barbecue in/on it, but sometimes I make barbecued ribs in my oven!

But that's not abbreviation or shortened, that's just misuse or perhaps a different meaning of a word due to different usage in a different country. To me, the broiler is the top heatling element in my oven. The grill is in my garage and my husband might grill steaks or cook barbecue in/on it, but sometimes I make barbecued ribs in my oven!
You're not helping 😁

Back on topic, not only am I aperplectic about EVOO, but also the recipes that suggest you fry with it, an Italian or a Greek would report you to the police for it.

When some people say broiler when they mean grill, and say grill when they mean barbecue.

I've mentioned that one before. It makes US/UK cooking conversation difficult...

Stove = Hob
Oven = Cooker
Broiler = Grill
Grill = BBQ
BBQ = Smoker**

** True American BBQ refers to meat cooked with a wood or charcoal fire to create smoke, That rule has slipped over the decades. To many Americans today, BBQ is anything cooked slathered with BBQ sauce, whether on a smoker or in a Crock Pot.

CD

Back
Top Bottom