Food & cooking abbreviations & nicknames

I shorten some words when I have a case of fumblemouth, which can happen when one has too many beers. I'f I have a good snootful, vegetables is too hard to pronounce, so it becomes veggies. Don't expect me to say Parmigiano Reggiano after a few glasses of wine. Parmesan or Parm is the best you are going to get.

CD

Why? Italians cook with olive oil. I use olive oil all the time when cooking. Strange but this view seems to have taken on a life of it's own and worn as a badge of honor it seems.
I never said that I don't cook with olive oil, I said I won't FRY with it. Chicken or fish fried in olive oil wouldn't be very good, not to mention it would be very expensive.

Why? Italians cook with olive oil. I use olive oil all the time when cooking. Strange but this view seems to have taken on a life of it's own and worn as a badge of honor it seems.

I think perhaps people are referring to deep frying (shallow frying) as opposed to sautéing. That would be a higher temperature frying than I would want to do with Olive Oil, especially Extra Virgin.

CD

I think perhaps people are referring to deep frying (shallow frying) as opposed to sautéing. That would be a higher temperature frying than I would want to do with Olive Oil, especially Extra Virgin.

CD
Exactly. And now we have the beginnings of a new thread starter, as I can smell the EVOO starting to burn...

When some people say broiler when they mean grill, and say grill when they mean barbecue.
Tell me about it! Scone…biscuit…biscuit…cookie…I can’t keep up half the time! :laugh: :wink:

CD
Yeah, most people I know don’t know what sautéing is - that’s just pan-frying, which is shortened to frying.

I remember an interview with somebody in the know regarding the making of The Godfather, and in the first draft of the screenplay, someone had written that that so-and-so was sautéing sausage, and one of the guys hired to help with adding authenticity to the film scratched that out and said “Italians <meaning Italian-Americans> don’t sauté…they fry!”

I never said that I don't cook with olive oil, I said I won't FRY with it. Chicken or fish fried in olive oil wouldn't be very good, not to mention it would be very expensive.
Anytime I cook with a fat I'm generally frying something (sauteeing). Personally I love chicken and fish cooked in olive oil and sometimes add butter, but then again it's the only oil I use other than an animal fat like butter, ghee, duck fat, beef fat etc and I suspect most people use some kind of refined seed oil, which will never pass through my mouth lol. Anyway each to their own. cheers.

Anytime I cook with a fat I'm generally frying something (sauteeing). Personally I love chicken and fish cooked in olive oil and sometimes add butter, but then again it's the only oil I use other than an animal fat like butter, ghee, duck fat, beef fat etc and I suspect most people use some kind of refined seed oil, which will never pass through my mouth lol. Anyway each to their own. cheers.
Yeah it's just a terminology thing, apparently besides abbreviating things I misuse all kinds of words, LOL! I would never deep-fry chicken in butter or animal fat. That would be rather costly and I have had no issues with peanut oil over the years. My grandma used Crisco.

I have never heard of anyone deep frying chicken or fish in butter before.

Yeah it's just a terminology thing, apparently besides abbreviating things I misuse all kinds of words, LOL! I would never deep-fry chicken in butter or animal fat. That would be rather costly and I have had no issues with peanut oil over the years. My grandma used Crisco.

Yeah deep frying I only use beef fat.

I’ll add another quirk of mine regarding shortenings - I hate seeing tablespoon and teaspoon spelled out in an ingredients list. I’d much rather see TB and tsp.
IMHO: The capitalisation of the TB is very important, it improves the legibility of a recipe, it helps avoid mixing the two volume measurements up.

I confess: I've cooked a roast chicken in butter while camping with kids many years ago. It was bloody good.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom