Food & cooking abbreviations & nicknames

What is a second pressing, pomace oil or something different?
Extra virgin is usually the first cold pressing/extraction process (centrigual), no heat or solvents/chemicals used.

Virgin olive oil is usually the subsequent/2nd pressing/extraction (same fruit just mixed up and processed a second time), often with some heat applied, not as much flavour and usually a lighter oil. It's cheaper because the best stuff has already been extracted.

Light is the next extraction
Extra light the next
100% Olive oil is the next and final? extraction where there is pretty much nothing left to obtain from the pulp after that.

Olive oil used for soap and the likes is usually the last and final pressing with the most amount of heat to extract what little oil remains in the crushed fruit. It's the lowest quality.

Olive Oil Grades
  1. 1st pressing of fruit = “Extra Virgin” Olive Oil.
  2. 2nd pressing of fruit = “Virgin” Olive Oil.
  3. 3rd pressing of fruit = “Light” Olive Oil.
  4. 4th pressing of fruit = “Extra Light” Olive Oil.
  5. 5th pressing of fruit = “100% Pure” Olive Oil.

I spent 6 weeks in an oil harvesting area of Greece many years ago where everyone around us were locals and they were actually collecting and processing the harvest at the time.

I'm also off to the local olive grove this morning for coffee with friends! I'm in the Olive and grape growing region (cold climate grapes) of Australia and have trees of my own.

Extra virgin is usually the first cold pressing/extraction process (centrigual), no heat or solvents/chemicals used.

Virgin olive oil is usually the subsequent/2nd pressing/extraction (same fruit just mixed up and processed a second time), often with some heat applied, not as much flavour and usually a lighter oil. It's cheaper because the best stuff has already been extracted.

Light is the next extraction
Extra light the next
100% Olive oil is the next and final? extraction where there is pretty much nothing left to obtain from the pulp after that.

Olive oil used for soap and the likes is usually the last and final pressing with the most amount of heat to extract what little oil remains in the crushed fruit. It's the lowest quality.

I spent 6 weeks in an oil harvesting area of Greece many years ago where everyone around us were locals and they were actually collecting and processing the harvest at the time.

I'm also off to the local olive grove this morning for coffee with friends! I'm in the Olive and grape growing region (cold climate grapes) of Australia and have trees of my own.
Not sure where you got the idea that all grades of olive oil are extracted using the same olives and are just the result of subsequent pressings. Olives are separated by quality with the highest quality also with an acidity of less than 0.8% used for extra virgin olive oils only. The lesser quality olives which are the vast majority of harvested olives which don't meet the strict criteria of evoo are then used for virgin, light and extra light and are mostly a refined product with a higher smoke point which are less expensive as well. People have a tendency to use these olive oils for cooking instead of extra virgin.

The remaining harvested olives are then divided into quality. Virgin is often pressed like extra virgin with just mechanical means but just doesn't meet the criteria for extra virgin but still have decent color, taste and nutrition. Light, extra light and 100% are of lesser quality olives and are refined like any other oil and is striped of it's nutrition in the process. People believe they're still getting something close to extra virgin, but they're not, not even close.

Pomace is called the waste material after the pressing of extra virgin olive oil and because there's generally another 10% of oil left that can't be extracted by just mechanical means, is then further extracted using heat and solvents and sometimes referred to the second pressing and why I asked the question. Never heard of a 3rd or 4th or 5th pressing.

Last edited:
Ah - that has has come up before on the forum. Its overrated as a dish in my opinion and as you say - the name is silly. There's a trend now for cross breed dogs with those sort of portmanteau names. The most trendy dog at the moment seems to be the 'cockapoo' judging from the number I see being walked up and down my road.

Yep, they are crossing poodles with everything these days in the US. My groomer insists that my dog is a labradoodle, even though I know he is 100-percent AKC certified poodle.

CD

Not sure where you got the idea that all grades of olive oil are extracted using the same olives and are just the result of subsequent pressings. Olives are separated by quality with the highest quality also with an acidity of less than 0.8% used for extra virgin olive oils only. The lesser quality olives which are the vast majority of harvested olives which don't meet the strict criteria of evoo are then used for virgin, light and extra light and are mostly a refined product with a higher smoke point which are less expensive as well. People have a tendency to use these olive oils for cooking instead of extra virgin.

The remaining harvested olives are then divided into quality. Virgin is often pressed like extra virgin with just mechanical means but just doesn't meet the criteria for extra virgin but still have decent color, taste and nutrition. Light, extra light and 100% are of lesser quality olives and are refined like any other oil and is striped of it's nutrition in the process. People believe they're still getting something close to extra virgin, but they're not, not even close.

Pomace is called the waste material after the pressing of extra virgin olive oil and because there's generally another 10% of oil left that can't be extracted by just mechanical means, is then further extracted using heat and solvents and sometimes referred to the second pressing and why I asked the question. Never heard of a 3rd or 4th or 5th pressing.
I got the 'idea' from first hand experience working on an olive plantation and subsequently at the processing plant in Greece. Hand picking over olives at the bottom of the tree and so on.

I guess just like everything else in the world and life, there is more than one way of doing it and technology plays a large part.

The place we worked in was an older processing plant using grinding, press & heat and not chemicals or centrifugal extraction. How things are processed where presumably you worked is another matter. Though where I was/we were 4th & 5th in that list were such low grade that they were only used externally for cosmetics and soaps never for eating/drinking (as in taste testing). The Greeks concerned took their olive oil very seriously.

That all I will say on the matter. If you wish to look up the older Greek extraction methods feel free. How accurate it will be depends on your source.

I got the 'idea' from first hand experience working on an olive plantation and subsequently at the processing plant in Greece. Hand picking over olives at the bottom of the tree and so on.

I guess just like everything else in the world and life, there is more than one way of doing it and technology plays a large part.

The place we worked in was an older processing plant using grinding, press & heat and not chemicals or centrifugal extraction. How things are processed where presumably you worked is another matter. Though where I was/we were 4th & 5th in that list were such low grade that they were only used externally for cosmetics and soaps never for eating/drinking (as in taste testing). The Greeks concerned took their olive oil very seriously.

That all I will say on the matter. If you wish to look up the older Greek extraction methods feel free. How accurate it will be depends on your source.
Seriously, not sure why you thought you needed to play the appeal to authority card, but a simple look on line will show how olive oils are produced and they've never been produced the way you've described even though you continue to insist they are. Anyway, I'm not trying to be argumentative I just think accurate information is important, especially considering this site is about food.

Last edited:
Seriously, not sure why you thought you needed to play the appeal to authority card, but a simple look on line will show how olive oils are produced and they've never been produced the way you've described even though you continue to insist they are. Anyway, I'm not trying to be argumentative I just think accurate information is important, especially considering this site is about food.
It isn't authority. I have simply worked in olive oil production from tree to bottle. All I said is that there is more than 1 way.

Enough said.

I’m not annoyed at all by food/cooking abbreviations, on the contrary I think is just something comfy and not at all lazy to use just like my fave “EVOO”.
Yes, I used it a lot always followed by its full name (which worth it to be named) Extra Virgin Olive Oil in the ingredient lists, then shortened to EVOO in the method, just like tsp or tbsp or every other thing.

I think 'EVOO' was spawned in the USA. Its rarely used in the UK and certainly not in UK recipe books to my knowledge. I think it is creeping in to some food blogs though. What I don't like is that someone new to cooking in the UK would probably not know what it meant.

At least I know what ELOO is!

I use it all the time.

I think 'EVOO' was spawned in the USA. Its rarely used in the UK and certainly not in UK recipe books to my knowledge. I think it is creeping in to some food blogs though. What I don't like is that someone new to cooking in the UK would probably not know what it meant.
I believe your right. Racheal Ray an American food network chef made it famous, pretty much. It doesn't bother me except if it's used in a heading where abbreviations are generally never used. Within the copy for a description is fine. imo

Whenever I write up a recipe (which I never did before coming to this forum) I initially write it out, then abbreviate to EVOO throughout the rest of the recipe.

We Americans love our acronyms.

Partly what I don’t like about abbreviations like EVOO (and others) is that it’s a thinly-veiled attempt by some to appear cute/trendy/clever, which shouldn’t really happen in a recipe.

For Ms. Ray, it did become part of her schtick early on (“stoup,” “sammie”), and I think it influenced a lot of bloggers after her to think, “Ok, I’ve got to have a gimmick, too!”

Now, of course, so much of that has gone mainstream, it doesn’t appear trendy at all. I’m waiting for someone to refer to extra virgin olive oil at EVO², just so they can look even more cool! :laugh:

Partly what I don’t like about abbreviations like EVOO (and others) is that it’s a thinly-veiled attempt by some to appear cute/trendy/clever, which shouldn’t really happen in a recipe.

For Ms. Ray, it did become part of her schtick early on (“stoup,” “sammie”), and I think it influenced a lot of bloggers after her to think, “Ok, I’ve got to have a gimmick, too!”

Now, of course, so much of that has gone mainstream, it doesn’t appear trendy at all. I’m waiting for someone to refer to extra virgin olive oil at EVO², just so they can look even more cool! :laugh:

I don't know what you find so cool about using EVOO, I can assure you that it is not at all to look cooler, at least for me, it is just a matter of practicality.

Not me, I'm just lazy. In typing. And I would never speak it, too weird that would be...eeeevoooooo?

I think even stones know what EVOO means by now :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom