Food & cooking abbreviations & nicknames

I don't know what you find so cool about using EVOO, I can assure you that it is not at all to look cooler, at least for me, it is just a matter of practicality.
It’s not that it’s cool now, it’s been around too long, but here, it seemed to start with Rachael Ray and her TV show. Before Rachael, no average person said “EVOO,” but after her first show hit, suddenly everyone was saying, “Extra virg?…oh, darling, you mean EVOO! You need to get with the times!”

Now, of course, it’s very mainstream, and yes, it’s gone beyond the cool factor. I was speaking more about any kind of trendy slang like that. Some of it catches on, some doesn’t.

I can almost…almost understand using it when writing, because it’s a shorthand style, but it’s the speaking it that really irks me. :laugh:

It’s not that it’s cool now, it’s been around too long, but here, it seemed to start with Rachael Ray and her TV show. Before Rachael, no average person said “EVOO,” but after her first show hit, suddenly everyone was saying, “Extra virg?…oh, darling, you mean EVOO! You need to get with the times!”

Now, of course, it’s very mainstream, and yes, it’s gone beyond the cool factor. I was speaking more about any kind of trendy slang like that. Some of it catches on, some doesn’t.

I can almost…almost understand using it when writing, because it’s a shorthand style, but it’s the speaking it that really irks me. :laugh:
I would agree on that. I'd never speak it, not even if people thought it was cool. But I was always a bit nerdy. Did I mention I was also a lazy typist? Here and in texts, anyway. I have very structured and proper writing skills in business matters, but who cares if I drive some of you good folks a little crazy sometimes? :laugh:

This sounds completely different. It sounded like you were referring to the written recipes, not the 'spoken' ones. On the written recipes, I reiterate that the word EVOO is nothing more than an abbreviation and that it should be considered as such, but with a proper explanation of what EVOO is just for the sake of gratitude since it is a product that deserves it.
If I heard someone say EVOO while explaining a recipe, it would be ridiculous.

This sounds completely different. It sounded like you were referring to the written recipes, not the 'spoken' ones. On the written recipes, I reiterate that the word EVOO is nothing more than an abbreviation and that it should be considered as such, but with a proper explanation of what EVOO is just for the sake of gratitude since it is a product that deserves it.
If I heard someone say EVOO while explaining a recipe, it would be ridiculous.
I think it only needs to be written out once if used multiple times in the same recipe with EVOO in parentheses next to it, do you agree? After that, if the reader can't figure it out, they are indeed a stone 😉

I have five or six Brit-published cooking magazines, dating from 2017-2020 - none of those use it (I just checked).
Well they weren't written by millennials most likely! If British millennials are anything like murican millennials, they know everything!

I´ve just looked at the BBC food site, Jamie Oliver´s website, Gordon Ramsay´s website, Tom Kerridge´s website, Nigella Lawson´s website, Jason Atherton´s website, Delia Smith´s website...
There´s no recognition of "EVOO".
Must be a Rachel Ray thing; but then Brits are not fans of acronyms.

I´ve just looked at the BBC food site, Jamie Oliver´s website, Gordon Ramsay´s website, Tom Kerridge´s website, Nigella Lawson´s website, Jason Atherton´s website, Delia Smith´s website...
Ok, KK. LOL

Yeah - as I said above, using the acronym 'EVOO' is not really that common in the UK.

I'm curious!

I texted my youngest daughter and asked her. She is in her early 30's. She really had no idea what it meant! She is not an experienced cook but has been trying to cook from scratch recently. I suppose I should try this on my my youngest son, who is a more experienced cook. I'd honestly never experienced this acronym until I joined this forum and I was an experienced cook when I joined. I also recall a couple of other British members commenting on the acronym a while back, as they hadn't encountered it before.

Well they weren't written by millennials most likely! If British millennials are anything like murican millennials, they know everything!
Just for info: the youngest millenials are currently 31. I am a millenial and 34, 35 in august. Most people seem to forget that the younger generation of my stepsons is 'Gen Z' and not millenials. They are just coming of age. A millenial was 10 or older around 2000, that defines them as a millenial. I am a late millenial, as the dividing line is generally a decennium. So they could perfectly well be written by millenials. I guess it is true that we're know it alls though :thankyou::laugh:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom