Food & cooking abbreviations & nicknames

Yeah - as I said above, using the acronym 'EVOO' is not really that common in the UK.

I texted my youngest daughter and asked her. She is in her early 30's. She really had no idea what it meant! She is not an experienced cook but has been trying to cook from scratch recently. I suppose I should try this on my my youngest son, who is a more experienced cook. I'd honestly never experienced this acronym until I joined this forum and I was an experienced cook when I joined. I also recall a couple of other British members commenting on the acronym a while back, as they hadn't encountered it before.
Honestly I also only found out what EVOO is by being here for a while.

Just for info: the youngest millenials are currently 31. I am a millenial and 34, 35 in august. Most people seem to forget that the younger generation of my stepsons is 'Gen Z' and not millenials. They are just coming of age. A millenial was 10 or older around 2000, that defines them as a millenial. I am a late millenial, as the dividing line is generally a decennium. So they could perfectly well be written by millenials. I guess it is true that we're know it alls though :thankyou::laugh:
Yes, I know, and you are an exceptional millenial and don't fit the stereotype of a typical millenial. Two of my four stepchildren are millenials, as well as several of my husband's younger cousins. The two younger stepdaughters actually listen to me and ask for advice from time to time. The older two do not.

Yes, I know, and you are an exceptional millenial and don't fit the stereotype of a typical millenial. Two of my four stepchildren are millenials, as well as several of my husband's younger cousins.
Why thanks ❤ I feel more at home with the gen X crowd, my husband is and so are my friends. So you might be right, though I readily admit being a know it all. My nickname given to me at school was ' Hermione ' by my classmates :laugh: ( Hermione is Harry Potter's super smart nerdy friend).

I just see a lot of confusion about who millenials are everywhere on the web.

Why thanks ❤ I feel more at home with the gen X crowd, my husband is and so are my friends. So you might be right, though I readily admit being a know it all. My nickname given to me at school was ' Hermione ' by my classmates :laugh: ( Hermione is Harry Potter's super smart nerdy friend).
Yeah, I am young at heart, I have friends who are 20 years or more younger than I am. I get along really well with my stepkids and my husband's younger relatives as well, we love to have them over for dinner and cocktails, fun times. And I have watched several of the HP movies...my stepkids were all big fans and read the books and I watched the movies with them.

I actually do know everything, ask my husband!

What’s even worse, when Rachel Ray says it, she’s says both, as in, “I’m just gonna grab some good ol’ EVOO…that’s what we call extra virgin olive oil in my kitchen…<snort-laugh>”

One or the other, Rach, one or the other… 😒
You still thought she was cute. I know you did. You would probably prefer she not talk, though, LOL.

You still thought she was cute. I know you did.
Rachael Ray.
America´s equivalent of Nigella Lawson. Look at this quote from Nigella. This is what she thinks when she´s cooking...
“The custard should be firm but not immobile; when you press it with your fingers, it should have a little wobble still within. Soft, warm and voluptuous - like an 18th century courtesan's inner thigh.”

Rachael Ray.
America´s equivalent of Nigella Lawson. Look at this quote from Nigella. This is what she thinks when she´s cooking...

“The custard should be firm but not immobile; when you press it with your fingers, it should have a little wobble still within. Soft, warm and voluptuous - like an 18th century courtesan's inner thigh.”

Have no idea how Nigella has any idea of how that feels...LOLOLOL. I think Nigella is a bit "seedy".

Me neither - but that´s what Nigella does...imagine an episode of "Back to the Future" where the assignment is:
"Find me a courtesans inner thigh"
The mind boggles...
That could conjure up some gruesome images, actually.

These Everyday Words Are Actually Acronyms

Canola Oil
"There's not a canola plant, but you can still find this all-purpose cooking oil in many a pantry. It comes from the rapeseed plant, but that's a loaded name to try to sell. Canadian scientists made the rapeseed oil better suited for cooking, and now you can purchase "Canada Oil, Low Acid."

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom