Food & cooking abbreviations & nicknames

I can't remember seeing TB in a recipe. Most of the recipes from America that I see measure in cups and fractions thereof (which I can never seem to visualise).

If I'm writing a recipe I use tsp and tblsp or grams or ml.

Last edited:
I can't remember seeing TB in a recipe. Most of the recipes from America that I see measure in cups and fractions thereof (which I can never seem to visualise).

If I'm writing a recipe I use tsp and tblsp or grams or ml.

I "store" many of my recipes on "Food.com" and use both Imperial and metric measurements in my write ups (I don't know why). Food.com interprets them thus:

I use 'veg' often, is that better or worse? :laugh:

Also am known to use 'brekkie' a 'cuppa' a 'bikkie' a 'sarnie' and the 'telly'.. So sorry everyone?
Cuppa is fine by me, because it’s in the same family of words as gonna/lotta/outta.

Brekkie I personally don’t use, and bikkie is another one that, to me, sounds very much like something I’d say to a baby, like, “Does baby-waby wanna bikkie-wikkie? Well, too baddy-waddy, cuz I just ate them all! Welcome to the real world and a lifetime of disappointment, baby-waby!”

Ok, I think I got off track there! :laugh:

Here´s a wierd one for you all, then.
Turducken.
I really couldn´t eat something with a "turd" in it....

Ah - that has has come up before on the forum. Its overrated as a dish in my opinion and as you say - the name is silly. There's a trend now for cross breed dogs with those sort of portmanteau names. The most trendy dog at the moment seems to be the 'cockapoo' judging from the number I see being walked up and down my road.

Why? Italians cook with olive oil. I use olive oil all the time when cooking. Strange but this view seems to have taken on a life of it's own and worn as a badge of honor it seems.
I cook with olive oil, but not extra virgin olive oil, the smoking point is too low, the flavour is too strong, and the cost is too high. I kerp it for dressings, ordinary second pressing olive oil goes in my frying pan.

I cook with olive oil, but not extra virgin olive oil, the smoking point is too low, the flavour is too strong, and the cost is too high. I kerp it for dressings, ordinary second pressing olive oil goes in my frying pan.
I generally have a range of extra virgin oils, right now 3 kinds and I use them for different purposes and reasons and one just for cooking. If I'm using a higher heat for say a steak, then no I wouldn't use it, I'd switch to beef fat or ghee. What is a second pressing, pomace oil or something different?

I "store" many of my recipes on "Food.com" and use both Imperial and metric measurements in my write ups (I don't know why). Food.com interprets them thus:

They've taken the conversion literally. It's generally accepted that 1 tbsp is 15g's or a tsp is 5g's in cooking and baking. Strange and I'd say they didn't think that one through as a cooking website.

Ah - that has has come up before on the forum. Its overrated as a dish in my opinion and as you say - the name is silly. There's a trend now for cross breed dogs with those sort of portmanteau names. The most trendy dog at the moment seems to be the 'cockapoo' judging from the number I see being walked up and down my road.
It's an abomination. Some people have too much time on their hands. :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom