Food Fraud...

caseydog

Local time
8:12 AM
I've gotten burned on oil blends because I didn't actually look at and read the whole label.

Years ago, we were shopping and I noticed a package of frozen crawfish tails at a really great price. They were still expensive, but way lower than what we had paid previously. It had Breaux Bridge, a known producer of good crawfish in Louisiana, featured prominently on the label. Thinking this price was too good to be true, I flipped the package over and read the fine print. The crawfish were from China and were shipped to and packaged in Breaux Bridge so they could take advantage of the name.

Last edited:
I've gotten burned on oil blends because I didn't actually look at and read the whole label.

Years ago, we were shopping and I noticed a package of frozen crawfish tails at a really great price. They were still expensive, but way lower than what we had paid previously. It had Beau Bridge, a known producer of good crawfish in Louisiana, featured prominently on the label. Thinking this price was too good to be true, I flipped the package over and read the fine print. The crawfish were from China and were shipped to and packaged in Beau Bridge so they could take advantage of the name.

I encountered that same brand of crawfish at Walmart. The front label was all kinds of Louisiana, but I always read the back label on seafood, and just as you found, I found China as the origin of the meat.

CD

Cheese was a new one on me.
Horse meat I know all about, I used to buy horse meat to feed my dogs. (German shepherds) so I knew the guys at the shop. Product ccme from Southland clover products, so I never thought about it for years then one day while seeing my butcher mate in his shop. He was mincing beef when I noticed him putting a out 2kgs of meat from a box labeled clover exports. I thought I know what that is?.
I asked him but he ignored me and put the box back in his freezer. I never bought .I mever bought mince off him again.

Russ

They have horsemeat restaurants in Belgium and France and they´re very popular. My bro went to one years ago and said the meat was really good. I really don´t understand why folks are "horrified" at the thought of eating horsemeat, unless it´s some sentimental attachment because we (a) ride them and (b) bet on them :D :D . Anyone who´s eaten good mortadella knows it´s made from donkeys.

They have horsemeat restaurants in Belgium and France and they´re very popular. My bro went to one years ago and said the meat was really good. I really don´t understand why folks are "horrified" at the thought of eating horsemeat, unless it´s some sentimental attachment because we (a) ride them and (b) bet on them :D :D . Anyone who´s eaten good mortadella knows it´s made from donkeys.

I think it was the fact that it was mixed into ground beef might have had something to do with it. Anyone agree? Vote yea or Naaaaaaaay.

CD

I would never knowingly eat horsemeat because I and some of my family had horses and ponies as kids, and we loved them just like dogs and cats.

Who knows if I would feel the same about beef if I had hand raised a calf. A couple of my cousins lived on the farm my grandparents owned as their mother had passed and their dad was a deadbeat. It was a crop farm as a business, but there were also cows for milk and meat, as well as chickens for eggs and meat, plus a garden that grew most of their vegetables. We would always coo over and pet the new chicks my grandmother would order for meat birds and to replace layers that were getting too old, but once they were out of the incubator area, they weren't looked at as potential pets, neither were any calves as their mothers took care of them.

Who knows if I would feel the same about beef if I had hand raised a calf.
The first year we moved out to the farm (1972), we got a bunch chickens, for eggs and meat.

Mom named every last one and had them where she could pick them up without much of a fuss, and she’d pet on them and talk to them and all that.

She cried like a baby when it came time to kill them and get them ready for the freezer. She was the main scalder and plucker, and every time she’d get handed a chicken, she’d wail and say something like, “Ohhhhh, Tom Jones, you ain’t gonna sing for me no more! 😭,” or, “I’m sure gonna miss you, Miss Minnie! 😭,” and Dad would be scolding her the whole time, “Would you hush up, Jean?! I tol’ you not to name the dad-blamed things!” :laugh:

The first year we moved out to the farm (1972), we got a bunch chickens, for eggs and meat.

Mom named every last one and had them where she could pick them up without much of a fuss, and she’d pet on them and talk to them and all that.

She cried like a baby when it came time to kill them and get them ready for the freezer. She was the main scalder and plucker, and every time she’d get handed a chicken, she’d wail and say something like, “Ohhhhh, Tom Jones, you ain’t gonna sing for me no more! 😭,” or, “I’m sure gonna miss you, Miss Minnie! 😭,” and Dad would be scolding her the whole time, “Would you hush up, Jean?! I tol’ you not to name the dad-blamed things!” :laugh:

I never lived on a farm, but I dispatched a bunch of ducks, and a few geese when I lived down on the coast. I love duck gumbo -- you just have to be careful not to bite down on some steel shot.

CD

I've never eaten horse meat, at least not knowingly, but I wouldn't object to trying it if it was properly prepared & labelled as such

The problem with Britain's horse meat affair was that as it was done fraudulently and secretly, the welfare for the animals, and the hygiene & preparation of the meat was almost certainly below the required standards

But this is nothing new; adulteration of food has been going on for centuries

Food fraud is old as history. Anything that is labeled and just looks similar to the original product is okay for me, the hidden frauds are dangerous. In Germany we had the same issue with horse meat getting mixed under regular grinded meat.

Did eat some horse sausage and they were really good, nice fat to proteins ratio

Olive Oil is another one to keep an eye out for, lots of deception with the leveling and loop hole claims on the bottle.

I watch a guy on YouTube who goes to Costco mostly and identifies the good stuff to buy and the not so good stuff. ThOne big bags of pine nuts there are from China etc. Far better to eat less while consuming the best quality IMO.

Back
Top Bottom