Food Fraud...

I've used canola oil, but sometimes there's a wierd sort of fishy taste to it.

Same experience.

Same here, and people used to tell me I was crazy, until Chris Kimball (from ATK) mentioned it in passing on some talk show. Then all of a sudden, I was a genius. :laugh:

I don’t remember where I read it, so it could be complete BS, but I recall something about how the US government doesn’t/can’t regulate olive oils and labeling from other countries, which is why we get lots of blends with misleading labels and all that, but they do regulate quite strictly what’s produced here, so of what we can buy here, the California-produced olive oils are more accurately labeled - something like that, anyway.

I find that canola oil is very neutral when fresh, but sometimes goes off after a while. Sesame oil is even worse. I look for tiny bottles, and still end up throwing half of it away, even when I keep it in the fridge.

CD

Same here, and people used to tell me I was crazy, until Chris Kimball (from ATK) mentioned it in passing on some talk show. Then all of a sudden, I was a genius. :laugh:

I don’t remember where I read it, so it could be complete BS, but I recall something about how the US government doesn’t/can’t regulate olive oils and labeling from other countries, which is why we get lots of blends with misleading labels and all that, but they do regulate quite strictly what’s produced here, so of what we can buy here, the California-produced olive oils are more accurately labeled - something like that, anyway.

I've found California EVOO to be quite good. It isn't any cheaper -- sometimes more pricey -- but good.

CD

Paprika.
I’m now on my third tin of paprika that is so bland I wonder what it’s made up of.

I’m minded of the tile due scandal donkeys years ago 😬

I have found that cheap paprika and expensive paprika from Hungary are WAY different. The Hungarian paprika has a lot more flavor.

CD

I’m now on my third tin of paprika that is so bland I wonder what it’s made up of.
Is it Spanish "paprika" you're buying, or the real Hungarian stuff?
If it's Spanish, you want to look for Pimentón de la Vera, but it's still "mild" compared to the Hungarian stuff.I'm fairly sure you'll be able to pick some up in an East European (Polish, Bulgarian) grocery, but if not, you can get it online here
Real Hungarian Paprika

I have found that cheap paprika and expensive paprika from Hungary are WAY different. The Hungarian paprika has a lot more flavor.

CD

Absolutely 👍

I‘ve spent time going through all the brands many times over to arrive at the best bang for your buck so was disappointed to my top two have changed beyond recognition. I actually binned one!

Is it Spanish "paprika" you're buying, or the real Hungarian stuff?
If it's Spanish, you want to look for Pimentón de la Vera, but it's still "mild" compared to the Hungarian stuff.I'm fairly sure you'll be able to pick some up in an East European (Polish, Bulgarian) grocery, but if not, you can get it online here
Real Hungarian Paprika

Ah thanks. Mostly it is Spanish I wasn’t unhappy with them, it’s more that the brands I have found give a reliable flavour have suddenly changed.

Apart from Bart spices.
They don‘t take a single origin approach so theirs is “produce from more than one country“ sounds bad but that allows them to blend for consistent results unlike single origin stuff where it’s as good as the places crops were that month. Not the most expensive but not cheap either at £2.25 for 40 grams.

Sesame oil is even worse. I look for tiny bottles, and still end up throwing half of it away, even when I keep it in the fridge.

CD

You must be getting sesame oil that has been on the shelf for a while. Craig bought a huge tin of it in an Asian market once and it lasted for at least 3 years, if not longer, being stored in the refrigerator. I thought we'd never get that tin used up.

I think that it's made from dried red peppers. :whistling:
It is. But not all peppers are the same; there are over 4,000 varieties in the world at the moment, ranging from mild to exceedingly hot.
the "best" Spanish paprika (which the Spanish call "pimienta") is from La Vera. The Hungarian version comes from their hot peppers, which are called, curiously enough, "paprika". They've got a far more intense flavour than the Spanish, in my opinion.

The best paprika I ever bought is this Hungarian. Its really very hot yet fruity tasting.

Screen Shot 2023-07-13 at 21.55.09.png

Back
Top Bottom