Food Fraud...

Amazing!! I thought paprika was only made from REGULAR red bell peppers!!!
No, my friend - the world of "peppers" is far more complex than people imagine.
Peppers have different flavours, different heat levels and different textures. Bell peppers have no heat whatsoever.

The thing I want from my spices, especially the ones with heat is consistency.
When you have a new spice you often exercise caution a build up the amount you use. Then when familiar with it you can just add a teaspoon/tablespoon etc.

That’s whats bugged me about the paprika, mild variations in taste I‘m ok with, it’s organic matter so it’s never going to be completely uniform but a total loss of flavour and heat, thats just rubbish quality control or profiteering.

I’m going back to ‘Bart’ a blend it maybe but its a nice one and at least it’s consistent 👍

I needed paprika a few months ago for a recipe, and I usually buy something that looks like this:

IMG_5064.jpeg

Kroger

They were out of that, so I went for my second choice:

IMG_5065.jpeg

Amazon

But they were out of that! All they had in stock was the generic shop’s brand:

IMG_5066.jpeg

Kroger

They were buy-one-get-one, so I ended up with two containers of the blandest paprika I’ve ever had, and when I got home…I found an unopened tin of the first one in the back of the cabinet, and an unopened jar of the second one in the spice rack on the wall - discovered after I started cooking, of course. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom