Food you can't or won't eat

I used to have an allergic reaction to chocolate when I was a child. My legs would become full of really itchy pimples that I would scratch and they would scar and eventually disappear. Well I still ate chocolate though. My grandpa sold Kinder eggs and I would eat one almost everyday, the reaction didn't stop me. But thankfully, I've outgrown that. Nowadays the only side effect of eating chocolate is an expanding waistline.

I cannot bear the smell of durian. I'm told it's very sweet which would put me off anyway but because of the smell I've never tasted it.
I understand, but for me it's a sentimental smell. Every Indonesian market I've been to is dominated by the smell of Durian. It's indeed very strong.

I'm not into insects or things like rocky mountain oysters. I hear that cheek muscles are very tasty, but I can't seem to find a desire to eat anything from the head of an animal, nor the feet, nor the tails, with alligator or snake meat from the tails, being an exception.

Was reflecting, there is nothing really I could not eat. Have no allergies to food. So far.

I am adhering to a low carb diet as much as possible, to avoid some disbalance and some issues that are now under control.

So for several months I did not even eat fruit.
Fruit is luckily back now, as I do love fruit.

I am pescatarian, will cook meat for kid, but will not eat it, apart from tasting for seasoning...

Can't really explain why. Been vegan for couple of years, vegetarian for many years.

As mentioned in a different thread, can't touch fish, but it's mainly in my head. Can eat it though. Mostly.

Moulded cheese, very hot meals (spicy hot), bugs, eyes(eyeballs), some intestines, snails, frogs, poisonous fish...those would make me very uncomfortable like eeky...but then I would probably not get me in such situations...

I'm not into insects or things like rocky mountain oysters. I hear that cheek muscles are very tasty, but I can't seem to find a desire to eat anything from the head of an animal, nor the feet, nor the tails, with alligator or snake meat from the tails, being an exception.
You ate alligator tail meat?

There's nothing, too my knowledge, that I can't eat, but there are a lot of things I don't eat.

Mushrooms and seafood (with the exception of fish and chips and canned tuna) are the two most common ones for me. I've eaten most offal, but would not choose to do so again.

Maybe the one that surprises most people is that I'm not that crazy about ice cream. I might have it once or twice a year.

Cooked greens, don't like that. Squash, I keep trying to find some way to like it, but I haven't yet.

Squash, I keep trying to find some way to like it, but I haven't yet.
There are some squash that I like better than others..I like the ones that I can cut up in peices and roast..They still have a bit of texture and when you get a bit of a char on the edges it can really enhance the flavor..with butter, of course..I don't care for squash that has been boiled and mashed..feels like I am eating baby food..

I hear that cheek muscles are very tasty, but I can't seem to find a desire to eat anything from the head of an animal, nor the feet, nor the tails, with alligator or snake meat from the tails, being an exception.
I use the cheek muscles/jowls of pigs to make a cured product called guanciale..it is pretty much all fat, but it tastes great when cooked down and mixed in witht things as a flavor enhancer..not just big bites of fatty jowl..same goes with hocks..I like to smoke them and use them in recipes..

I think that I'm allergic to mussels. In the last 40 years I've eaten them twice and both times I had an attack of asthma. I had asthma as a kid but other than those two times it has not been a problem after my eighteenth birthday.

I use the cheek muscles/jowls of pigs to make a cured product called guanciale..it is pretty much all fat, but it tastes great when cooked down and mixed in witht things as a flavor enhancer..not just big bites of fatty jowl..same goes with hocks..I like to smoke them and use them in recipes..

I have some Italian guanciale in the fridge - waiting for a use. Hmm...

Are there any food you can't eat, either medical, religious, ethical or simply taste grounds and if so does it affect your cooking?
I absolutely detest tomatoes and cucumbers. The cucumber is nothing really but tomatoes make a lot of things hard. Curry etc almost all want tomatoes in there, makes things ahead as I'm not a great cook (always trying to learn).

How about red capsicum / red bell peppers? You get the color, but also a bit of the sweetness, without the acidity.

Moulded cheese, very hot meals (spicy hot), bugs, eyes(eyeballs), some intestines, snails, frogs, poisonous fish...those would make me very uncomfortable like eeky...but then I would probably not get me in such situations...
You're making me think of the dinner scene from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom:

intro-1600799314.jpg

Back
Top Bottom